Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Weather and the Turkey season >

Weather and the Turkey season

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Weather and the Turkey season

Old 04-06-2008, 10:38 PM

Default Weather and the Turkey season

I have Weather related breeding and feeding questions, but some background info first.

I do not have the ability to travel great distances to hunt, due to time constraints and must hunt within an hour or two of home.
In Idaho, our season always starts April 15th.
Two years ago, the season started at about the time toms and hens were beginning to breed.
Last year it got hot early, and the birds were about done with what nature intended, by April 25h.
This year the breeding season will be very late. It hasn't been warm enough to melt off the great amounts of snow we have received.
The areas that hold turkeys near home does have some bare ground on the south facing slopes and in the tree wells
- but there is still 2-3 feet of snow out there - and no sign of turkeys.
My buddy and I scouted hard on Saturday, and saw one set of tracks - on top of 2 feet of hard-pack snow, and a mile and a half from town!
We know birds in the area wintered well
- they have been fed by the locals and several of them have told us that every morning 100's are in and around the town.

HERE'S ARE MY QUESTIONS:
How does this significant difference in yaerly the weather paterns affect the breeding cycle of birds? Surely hens won't lay eggs until they can nest on the ground and survival rate is likely?
Will the need to breed be enough of a reason for the WILD TURKEYS have to leave their "Bed and Breakfast" and go into the surrounding forests to do what nature intended?
What the heck am I supposed to do? - I'm not taking a bird out of someone's yard!
Old 04-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Weather and the Turkey season

What the heck am I supposed to do?
I had to LoL when I read this.....It sound like you are a Die in the Wool Hunter and know as much as the rest of us

So Pray for Good Weather!

TF
Old 04-10-2008, 12:38 AM

Where are you located? I had Toms coming in strong up to the last day of season. I didn't make it out until may and they were gobbling up here in the Clearwater region. We've been hearing some gobbling for awhile this year too.

Ken
Old 04-22-2008, 10:45 PM

Idaho Bison,

I am hunting outside of Idaho City. Over the years and seasons we've counted 100's of birds. This year (as of last week) we still had 2-3' of snow on north facing slopes that have yet to see sun.

Please check out my inquirey "Help a novice, Meriams don't come runnin'"

Thanks
Old 04-23-2008, 05:10 AM

Feeding turkeys will result in them staying near thefeed, until the time comes when the hens are ready to breed and seek out spring home ranges (which means nesting areas). That time is probably determiend (as you note) by warm enough weather that there is new spring growth and insects, and bare, dry ground in the spring range.

As a result, bothspring breakup and breeding can be delayed by cold weather. In areas where the toms stay near the hens in the winter (as often occurs in feeding situations) the toms won't gobble as much as they would if the toms and hens had separated into sex specificflocks in the winter, because the toms are alreayd with the hens and dont' need to gobble. They strut, spit and drum instead. This may result in a lower than normal first gobblingpeak, or no noticeable first gobblingpeak at all.

You can find out when the normal gobbling peak occurs in your state by going to T.R. Michel's web site, and clicking on theTurkey Gobbling Dateslink on his home page. He has lots of good turkey infomation there too.

But, after most of the hens have gone off to nest, or at least left the wintering area, there is often a second gobbling peak 2-4 weeksafter the first gobbing peak should normally occur - even if there was no first gobbling peak - because the toms will be looking and calling for hens to breed with - still.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the info - I'll check the site!
Old 04-23-2008, 12:48 PM

Brian, We've had some of the same problems up here. I haven't had time to go out but there are some areas that I can get to. If you want an eastern let me know. We have a bunch up here in a spot. I shot two last year.

Ken
Old 04-23-2008, 01:39 PM

Ken,

I've not ventured north in the state - how long will it take me to get into your area? Time is not my friend.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:06 AM

It will take about 6 hours. The fall hunting up here can be good to because the good bird numbers.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:31 AM

Great! I'll file your info and contact you in the fall! Our unit (#39) is closed to fall hunting.

- Brian