Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

wild turkey recipes

Old 05-20-2004, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default wild turkey recipes

its that time of year,going to a party sunday where everybody is cooking wild game.any good turkey cooking suggestions,im cooking mine and would like to impress them.i barbequed it last year and it was ok,thinking about deep frying this year.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: wild turkey recipes

you can deep fry the whole bird or breast it out and fry that up....i mix bread crumbs, flour, salt , pepper, some cajun seasoning, not too much though, and a lil corn brd. mix......shake it all together in a ziplock , take my meat, dip it in the flour mix, chill it, then i dip it in egg/milk, then reflour it, chill again....it's not a real thick coating , just right if you ask me
i have had it marinated in bbq sauce and then deep fried like above, now that was good....oh, i make soup out of the rest, actually tomorrow i'm making wild turkey and dumplings with my left overs for a get together....amoung fried turkey too...my boss is retiring , so where doing turkey everyway we can for him , and cooking some hog up too his favorites.... good luck on how ever it is cooked, hope it turns out great
Old 05-21-2004, 12:50 AM
Typical Buck

I usually deep-fry mine too. But I decided to try something different this year. I cut the breast into filets, injected them with zesty italian dressing, sprinkled them with some black pepper and garlic salt and throwed them on the grill. It was very simple, but they turned out great. I've since tried that out with chicken and frozen turkey breasts too and with the same results.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:19 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Here is the recipe I was looking for - Thanks to my wife she always can find things I have lost because of CRS!

What you'll need:
Quarter all birds
Box (es) of Uncle Ben's Long grain and wild rice mixture
Lory season salt
1 Pkg of Onion sooup mix
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
2 cups water
or 1 & 1/2 cup water
half cup cooking sherry

Forgotten Chicken ( replace the chicken with quail, chukar, pheasant, duck, goose, grouse, woodcock, TURKEY or even your boot if you have come home game-less and are hungry but don't want to do much work Whew! )

Lightly grease the bottom of the roasting pan (have made this over an open fire during deer/turkey camp in a dutch oven!)

Depending on the size roasting pan sprinkle in the rice mixture on the bottom of the greased pan
(Some times I use 2 or 3 boxes depends how big the camp is)

Season your bird quarters with the Lory seasoned salt to taste
Lay bird quarters over the dry rice mixture in the pan.
Heat the Cream of mushroom soup and add 2 cups of water of or 1 & 1/2 cups water with 1/2 cup of cooking sherry. Now if you add more rice you'll need to add more water and more soup. But one can will take of one large game bird.

Sprinkle the Uncle Ben's seasoning mix on top of the quarters. (If I use 3 to 4 boxes I don't use all the seasoning maybe half)

Sprinkle the onion soup mix over the bird quarters.

Heat oven to 300 F and set the timer for 3 hours.

WHY IS CALLED FORGOTTEN!!!!!

Do NOT OPEN the pan during this time. You'll loose the needed moisture that even can tenderize you hunting boot if you are bird-less and really hungry. Should be able to cut all meat (err.. boot) with a fork!

Mmmmmmmmm - I'm hungry now!
I made this once at Deer camp and cooked 15 whole wild mallard ducks. Had the crew standing in line at the kitchen became very crowded. Came back at noon - put the pans in the oven and set the stove to start so we could eat at 6 PM as all are back out of the woods by then. The smell drove you crazy as you walked in from the cold outside! One hunting buddy put a big mound of mashed potatoes on his plate, made a depression for gravy and plopped his duck in the middle saying "That's the last pothole this duck will see!" By the way you also have the rice which is very filling. Hope you enjoy.

JW
Old 05-21-2004, 06:51 AM

I go for simple so that the turkey is the star....I breast out the meat on breasts and bone out the legs, remove all the gristle and conective tissue..

I marinate the meat in milk for 1- 2 hours.

I make a mix of 1 part corn flour, 1 part corn meal, and 1 part flour. I cut the breasts into 1 1/4 in thick chunks across the grain then butterfly it to a final 3/4 inch or so thickness, roll in the flour mixture, season with lowrys seasoned salt or salt and lemon pepper and fry in a small amount of canola oil but fry slowly.

Serve that with a good Pinot Gris white wine, a bit of fresh asperagus, and some morels...