Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Hens nesting.  Where are the gobblers? >

Hens nesting. Where are the gobblers?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hens nesting. Where are the gobblers?

Old 05-19-2004, 06:17 PM

Default Hens nesting. Where are the gobblers?

When all or most of the hens in an area have begun incubating their eggs, what do the gobblers do? Do they still follow their same routines, visiting strut zones, feeding areas, etc.? Do they still roost in the same areas? Most of the areas I hunt that contained wide open feeding areas early in the spring have now grown up with vegetation about knee high. There are still some open areas left. Would these remaining open areas around the gobbler's original roost area be a good place to set up and either put some decoys out or call very infrequently?? This is the last week of our season, and the woods have been quiet for about 2 weeks now?? The first week of our season the toms were going nuts! What's up?

Thanks for any info you can give!
Old 05-19-2004, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hens nesting. Where are the gobblers?

This isn't about the toms as much as it is about the hens. The hens have stopped vocalizing, so the toms have stopped gobbling. Instead, they're strutting and spitting for the younger hens who have now getting bred---there are also some older hens who probably had failed nests coming back for more.

The later in the season, you'll definitely have much less gobbling. Set-up in known strut zones, forage areas, and with the increase in heat---water and dusting areas are always good. The gobblers are there, and the younger males (2 year olds) are probably even flocking back up at roost time...
Old 05-21-2004, 05:44 AM

Thanks Strut&Rut. I appreciate your help. I know there are quite a few toms where I am hunting. I had them gobbling all around me earlier in the season, but couldn't get them within range for a good shot. I walk pretty far from the nearest road, and I still haven't seen another hunter and have never heard a shot while in that area, so I know they haven't been harvested. But, you would think there's not a turkey within miles because of how quiet the woods are. I keep telling myself that they are still there. I've been setting up in the open areas that I know some toms like to travel in and calling very little if at all. Tomorrow will be the last chance for me to score. Are there any last minute tricks that may work, like a good old gobbler, fight to get one to come in for a look??

Thanks again!
Old 05-21-2004, 06:11 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I agree but there should be one more Gobbling peak.....I found the same thing last week. Most hens on nests now but a few still visiting the Tom for a romp or two.

Gobbling was less frequent but I could elicit a shocl gobble on and off through the whole day. At least it told me there was Mr. Tom in the area.

All birds shot by us came in silent and to no more 2 hen decoys and no jake decoys.

so we set-up in areas known by the Toms to frequent and jsut waited them out. We did not do much calling but an occasioanal cluck and purr and maybe a few low key yelps.

We did see Toms grouped.

JW
Old 05-21-2004, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only thing I can think of, that may help, is to get to the spot this evening and try to roost a bird. If you know they are there, pinpoint a gobbler's roost and then tomorrow sneak in close---and I mean close---25-30 yards. Go in while it's dark, be quiet and you can get close.

Stick out a hen decoy, and at the proper time just cluck & purr. If everything works out, he'll glide down to your decoy and you'll have turkey steak for dinner

Other than that, best bet would be to hope for some gobbling. That's about all you can do during the post-breeding lull. They will fire back up, but as to when it' somewhat dictated by population dynamics and the weather. Usually a good cold snap will have them gobbling good for a few days...

Good luck, I haven't punched a tag this Spring either. Some good opportunities, but those pea-brains have got me pickled [&:]
Old 05-21-2004, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good advice STRUT&RUT, i havent puched a tag either. Box call it sound like you been hunting in ohio or close to me, these birds are doing the same exact thing to me as u described, i went out today and the heat was miserable so i called it quites at 930 and here i am at work wishing i stayed in the wood, lmao! Im going to try strut&rut's advice for tommorrow and just cluck and purr, wish me luck.

"ALWAYS LEAVE THE WOODS WITH SOMETHING"
Old 05-21-2004, 10:36 AM

Strut&Rut,

I had tried roosting a bird a few days ago in this area and again didn't get a peep out of them. I may take your suggestion though and try again tonight. I haven't gone completely empty handed this year, since I was able to get one up in Pa. 2 weeks ago on a classic gobble all the way in hunt. I guess if your in the right place at the right time, things will sometimes work out.

Turkey Fan,

I'm actually from Maryland and although we don't have a huge population of turkeys in our area, I have found them. I had a couple opportunities early in the season when they were talking to me, but my best chance at one turned and went down over the ridge instead of continuing to come to me. If nothing else, I got a good education this year!! Those pea brains are pretty darn smart!!!
Old 05-21-2004, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

BC,

To roost one you don't necessarily need them to talk. If you're in the vicinity of where you think they roost, you should be able to hear them fly up. At roost time, you can also try a gobble shaker if you have one, it may elicit a response from either a tom or a hen.

Other than that, you are somewhat destined to hope for a morning sound-off or the old strut zone magic.

I will also say, that when they are very quiet on the roost you can oftentimes get one extremely fired up around 10am, after his hens have left.

So if you don't find anything in the early am, go grab a good breakfast, take a nap and then head back around 9:30 and start working ridges looking for a response...

S&R
Old 05-21-2004, 11:20 AM

Thanks! I'll let you know what happens.