Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

i dont understand

Old 04-27-2004, 01:24 PM

Default i dont understand

this is my first year turkey hunting and i have been 3 times so far. i have watched all these hunting shows on turkeys and i dont get it. are these guys hunting turkeys in a pen or what? on these shows they get out of a truck and hit a box call and bam they get a gobble . well it hasnt happened like that for me yet. another thing is that i can tip toe through the woods and see one far off and before i can hide or call or anything he's gone but i almost run over them when i'm driving around . i just don't understand how this turkey hunting works , i've done everything these shows do and nothing. today i started before the sun came up and quit around 2:30 . maybe i'll have better luck at food lion . does anyone one have any certain way they go about hunting turkeys but i haven't got a clue. thank's signed nc (idontwatchturkeyhuntingshowsanymore)turkeyhunter[:@]
Old 04-27-2004, 01:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: i dont understand

I don't think any of those shows ever said it was easy. Bottom line if you hunt where there is lots of turkeys you're more likely to get out of the truck and make them gobble.

Sometimes they are quiet however. Try different calls. I have 4 friction calls with about 6 different strikers, 2 box calls, and a push button. Sometimes you will sit there calling and nothing. Switch from the box to a slate and whamo...gobble, gobble, gobble.

Like I said sometimes they are just quiet. I have sat for 3 hours in one spot just calling periodically. Never get a response. Finally have to move and you take 3 steps and all of a sudden a major ruckus erupts as the turkey scramble.

You mentioned "seeing" one far off. Well, if you can see him, he can see you better. He ain't gonna wait to see what you're up to. You gotta locate them with your call, not your eyes.

I learned early to "trust" that some bird is hearing my call if there is fresh sign in the area. That means trusting that eventually on some day they WILL come just like on TV.

Enjoy the little things like I described in my other post and it makes not shooting one right away less of an issue.

Good luck nc!
Old 04-27-2004, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

ncwanna,

First of all Alice, this ain't Kansas. Now that we have that strait, some of the TV shows give some good advice, and I did say some. Second, I would bet my left, well arm, by the time you see the bird, he has already seen you. If you went today, did you hear a bird gobbling at daylight, and could you get within 100, 150, or 200 yards of him without being seen, if so, did you set up and start calling from there. If not, try this: Go the next morning, get within hearing distance of where you saw or heard a bird that didn't know you was there today. If you don't think you can work him in, don't bother with him, come back the next morning, set up pretty close to where he was, set up an hour before daylight, wait til he gobbles and then try working him.

Some things to check, are you wearing a face mask, camo gloves, hat and clothes. Check your gun, does it shine, if so you may want to put camo tape or a cover on it. One thing that has given me a way more than one time, is my eye glasses. I have to sometimes hold my stock a little high to hide my glasses till I can make the shot. You may want to use a blind, I carry a home made one with me sometimes. Try using two different calls at the same time or as close to it as you can.

These are a few things to try and check, others will have suggestions just as good or better, try them, and good luck.

dog1
Old 04-27-2004, 02:03 PM

Gotta love those shows, huh?

I have no idea but I am guessing there is a good bit of editing on those films. I wonder how many times they parked the truck and got one to shock gobble right there.

I rarely get a shock gobble response to my calls but I also don't have access to unlimited private land where it is managed and guides place you right where the birds are. I hunt public land and pressured birds.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:07 PM

thanks for the info, i did see two gobblers in a field yesterday scratching around 9:am , so i should set up close to that field right ? i have been walking and calling about every 35 yds or so, i guess i will sit in one spot tomorrow and try it . i was just frustrated you know watching those guys just pull over and and shoot a turkey. i ' ll be sure to carry some patience with me tomorrow
Old 04-27-2004, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

One thing that proved invaluable and still is, is patterning the bird and setting up in places that they go to on a daily basis, not only where they roost in the am. I have spent lots of time at various times of the day watching birds with binocs and learning about them. I have killed birds at all times of the day and called them in all times of the day. I prefer mouth calls due to the fact that if they sneak up on you, you shouldn't be moving. A good tip I can give you is to call fairly softly, and once in a great while tone it up, and if you get a responsive bird, find out what turnes his crank. You will only learn with experience, learn from mistakes, and one thing I like to do is not follow a set pattern when calling. EX say one sequence go yelp yelp yelp, then the next go yelp yelp yelp cut cut yelp. I have had as many gobblers come in quiet as I have come in mouthing off. Every day is different. Another big thing is you have to be relatively close to where a bird wants to be, he might not wanna go 100 yards in one direction, but you might call him 400 yards in the opposite. They are tricky, smart, have good eyesight, but you can kill em, otherwise I wouldn't have 14 under my belt, I have learned from each and every bird. Last season I called in 7 longbeards and 5 jakes and never pulled the trigger, passed some and some just didn't work out, but it was still a successful season. Hopefully I have helped a little, just be patient and good things will happen.

As of the birds you saw a good tactic is to find a comfy spot to sit in range of where they were in that field, at daybreak, sit there and wait silent and camoflaged head to toe, maybe carefully making some soft calls. If they were there at 9 am and you are there before daylight you will more than likely get to hear em on the roost , and suprise them while they do their thing in the field! Good luck!!
Old 04-27-2004, 02:21 PM

I read in Turkeys and Turkey Hunting magazine a couple of years ago the need to get over the videos. They are fun to watch and have good info on them---but to expect gobblers to come dance on your gun barrel every time out is VERY unrealistic. They make it look so simple---but if you ever listen closely---sometimes they even admit that they have been in an area for several days. I knew of someone who was invited to go on a hunt that Mossy Oak was videoing. It took them seven days to get a bird.

Go where you know they are and be patient and still. When you think you better move on---wait another 30 mins. The two birds I have taken this season both came in without making a sound.

I remember my first couple of seasons. Was ready to call it quits---very frustrated. Calling and birds either going the opposite direction or showing no interest at all. Gobbling their heards off sometimes---but not moving for hours and then go back into the woods. But I decided to keep at it. I have yet to see a gobbler strut through my bedroom. When you get one---and you will if you stay with it long enough---it will make the wait and frustration worth it.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:31 PM

It's HARD and alot has to do calling skill's and luck but have good info ( asking the land owen were he seen um) and not giveing up they proble take week's to make a turkey video if not longer .And they make a liveing at it so they proble very good at it .Some time'd they don't gobble i got one i never heard a sound from um till they were on top of me and if you are moveing they will see ya 99.9 percent of the time before you
Old 04-27-2004, 05:47 PM
bigcountry

I have been turkey hunting for three years. Never got one in the spring until last week. The day was great. I called in three different set of toms. Nothing worked out. finally, at 11AM, I heard a gobble in the distance, and started yelping. Here they come running. Finally took a 21lb 11" beard gobbler. It was a fantastic day. But then went this morning and nothing was gobbling back. Saw one hen. But last week, saw 12 hens and 5 gobblers.

Just like fishing, rare days its hot, most of the days, its not. The way I figure, is if I only go out 3 days a season, chances are I am not going to hit those hot action days. This year, I have taken it pretty seriously, and it paid off.

Old 04-27-2004, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: OntElk

Enjoy the little things like I described in my other post and it makes not shooting one right away less of an issue.
Exactly my thoughts. It will pan out one day. Besides, would you rather be workin'?

Quick Reply: i dont understand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.