HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - i dont understand
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2004, 02:12 PM
Carpmaster
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: i dont understand

One thing that proved invaluable and still is, is patterning the bird and setting up in places that they go to on a daily basis, not only where they roost in the am. I have spent lots of time at various times of the day watching birds with binocs and learning about them. I have killed birds at all times of the day and called them in all times of the day. I prefer mouth calls due to the fact that if they sneak up on you, you shouldn't be moving. A good tip I can give you is to call fairly softly, and once in a great while tone it up, and if you get a responsive bird, find out what turnes his crank. You will only learn with experience, learn from mistakes, and one thing I like to do is not follow a set pattern when calling. EX say one sequence go yelp yelp yelp, then the next go yelp yelp yelp cut cut yelp. I have had as many gobblers come in quiet as I have come in mouthing off. Every day is different. Another big thing is you have to be relatively close to where a bird wants to be, he might not wanna go 100 yards in one direction, but you might call him 400 yards in the opposite. They are tricky, smart, have good eyesight, but you can kill em, otherwise I wouldn't have 14 under my belt, I have learned from each and every bird. Last season I called in 7 longbeards and 5 jakes and never pulled the trigger, passed some and some just didn't work out, but it was still a successful season. Hopefully I have helped a little, just be patient and good things will happen.

As of the birds you saw a good tactic is to find a comfy spot to sit in range of where they were in that field, at daybreak, sit there and wait silent and camoflaged head to toe, maybe carefully making some soft calls. If they were there at 9 am and you are there before daylight you will more than likely get to hear em on the roost , and suprise them while they do their thing in the field! Good luck!!