HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - i dont understand
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2004, 01:38 PM
OntElk
Typical Buck

Default RE: i dont understand

I don't think any of those shows ever said it was easy. Bottom line if you hunt where there is lots of turkeys you're more likely to get out of the truck and make them gobble.

Sometimes they are quiet however. Try different calls. I have 4 friction calls with about 6 different strikers, 2 box calls, and a push button. Sometimes you will sit there calling and nothing. Switch from the box to a slate and whamo...gobble, gobble, gobble.

Like I said sometimes they are just quiet. I have sat for 3 hours in one spot just calling periodically. Never get a response. Finally have to move and you take 3 steps and all of a sudden a major ruckus erupts as the turkey scramble.

You mentioned "seeing" one far off. Well, if you can see him, he can see you better. He ain't gonna wait to see what you're up to. You gotta locate them with your call, not your eyes.

I learned early to "trust" that some bird is hearing my call if there is fresh sign in the area. That means trusting that eventually on some day they WILL come just like on TV.

Enjoy the little things like I described in my other post and it makes not shooting one right away less of an issue.

Good luck nc!