Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 early seasons versus late seasons >

early seasons versus late seasons

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

early seasons versus late seasons

Old 02-26-2004, 11:35 AM

Default early seasons versus late seasons

i tried this in the midwest column didnt get any response, so i am trying it here, the early season in Illinois begin at the start of April.

i've done it again this year screwed around and didnt put in early for turkey permits and i've ended up with the very last seson (may 6-13 north zone illinois)

my question is does anyone have any advice for the latter season or is it pretty much the same as the april seasons?

i just started turkey huntin 2 years ago and havent had much luck. first season i went it rained all day both days out and last year i had a nice tom coming off the roost before a couple does came upon me and spooked him off.

any opinoions or advice is appreciated.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: early seasons versus late seasons

I'm a turkey hunting newbie, but from what I hear, late season hunts can be very rewarding. The toms might not be gobbling as much as in March and April, but the hunting pressure tends to drop in May. If you can roost a gobbler or successfully spot, stalk, and set up on him, chances are that there will be fewer other hunters out there to compete with.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:46 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I hunted a variety of seasons.

My traditional hunt is WI. is May 12 to the 16 this year. Our group always hunt late seasons in WI.

What I have learned. though they may not be as aggessive OR you may run into the second peak of gobbling. That is the hens are on nest and so Mr. tom is very lonely.

I would rather have first crack at them and do so in several other states I hunt. But with patience and knowing your area (finding birds) you should be able to kill one.

For instance my humt in MI. is always for opening but I do take my kids for May 3 to May 31 and have called in several nice Toms right up to the last day of May!

Tactics are pretty much the same but you need to know when to call and when to move and when not to do either! That comes by experience cause each bird I have encountered has been somewhat different.

Not much help I know....but that is why it is called hunting.

JW!
Old 02-26-2004, 12:01 PM

The best piece of advice I can give about later season hunting is get out in the woods and scout all the spare time you can in the earlier seasons, just don't carry a gun. Spend the earlier season times learning the birds' strut zones, roosting locations, feeding locations and daily travel patterns/routes. Then, when it is your turn, you can have a good plan, as you'll know where the birds are, where they're going and what they're doing. Finally, roost a bird the night before your opener, and you should have good success.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:08 PM

i hunt on our own property so hunting pressure is not a major concern, thanks for the advice it is helpful, anything is helpful at this point.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

We've had very good success during the later seasons. I prefer hunting later. You won't get much action off the roost in the mornings. They're usually henned up. But by 9 or 10:00, the hens are leaving to go lay another egg or set on their nest. The toms are used to having company and are willing to entertain a new prospect. We get most of our birds around 11:00. If they'll answer you right away in the morning and you don't spook them, quite often they'll come back later looking for you when the usual harem has left.