Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 How to roost turkeys???? >

How to roost turkeys????

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How to roost turkeys????

Old 01-25-2004, 08:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default How to roost turkeys????

This will be my 3rd year in the turkey woods and I was wondering what are some of the methods used to roost turkeys the night before. I've tried a late evening owl hoot and can't get anything to gobble. It seems like the birds on my place shut up around noon and don't talk again until the next morning.

Anyway, what is the best way to make a bird gobble going to roost?
Old 01-25-2004, 09:01 PM

Default RE: How to roost turkeys????

If you're birds aren't gobbling to an Owl hooter then maybe try a Coyote Howler or even just sit quielty and listen for birds flying up.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:02 PM

Wingbeats are the main noise when roosting birds for me.
I've watched gobblers roost then blew every locator I had and they didn't make a sound.

Heavy wingbeats are made by larger birds(usually a tom)
Old 01-25-2004, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Knowing your piece of ground helps here I believe in roosting your birds for a couple of reasons.#1 is because of my preseason homework I already have a pretty good idea where the birds are going to roost if they are there,so consequently i have a pretty good idea of where to listen!#2 and I think this is the most important because I know my property I have a good idea of how to get in and out of the woods 'without bumping the birds'!Walking or driving right into your hunting area during broad daylight tends to'nerve up 'the birds a bit especially walking.At dawn we use the cover of darkness in alot of cases to set-up on a roosted bird to cover our movements but in trying to roost one we dont have that privy so approach your turkey woods with a little more caution and possibly you might be surprised!!
Old 01-26-2004, 05:04 PM
VP

Down here in Cajun Country we prefer frying em over Roosting em.
But if a good ole roosted bird is what you like then here ya go.

Get sum of dat Tony Chachere's Garlic n Butter Injection marinade and fill dat bird full wit da wholllle Bottle!
Then sprinkle another bottle of da Tony Chachere's "Mo Spice " seasoning all over and inside of de turkey. Den, Let it set in da freezerator for bout 1 hour!
Preheat de wood stove to about 300 degrees
Take bout 2.5 lbs of the Green Onion Sausage and stuff de inside of da Turkey till it cant take no mo.
Stick dat bird on da Roosting rack of de wood stove and let him percalate fer bout 4-5 hrs depending on how much of dat sausage you stuffed in em.
When he done roosting , you should be able to move his leggs round freely...

If you really wanna get wild , ask me bout the

"TUR_DUK_HEN "

Just playing, couldnt pass it up>
Old 01-26-2004, 06:02 PM
Typical Buck

VP, I think they're talking about roosting a turkey, not roasting one. But thanks for the receipe.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very good Vance!!!Rofl...
Old 01-29-2004, 03:04 AM
Typical Buck

Down here in Cajun Country we prefer frying em over Roosting em.
But if a good ole roosted bird is what you like then here ya go.
Leave it to a coon a$$. Dat mey mek a good testin' 'o cookin' fo som din else doe. Proly try dat on da tame sto bought turkey fus......don wanna mess up my good tasin' wil toms.[8D]
Old 01-29-2004, 08:33 AM
Typical Buck

I've tried it from time to time and haven't had alot of success but it's definitely worth the time. I think that as long as you don't expect to be successful every time you'll be fine as some evenings they won't gobble for nothing and then other evenings they are very vocal. I usually get out there about 1.5 to 2 hours before dark and get a vantage point where I see a long ways down a field if possible. Sit and listen as you may hear them fly up or better yet to hear them gobble. If I hear one gobbling I usually sneak over to him and figure out where I'd like to setup. I'll clear away the leaves and any brush so I can just plop down there the next morning. If they won't gobble, try the owl hoot or crow call.

I've killed two birds that flew right down to me off the roost after putting them to bed the night before. It's definitely rewarding when it happens...
Old 01-29-2004, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

My method has always been to hunt while roosting. I try to get out and sit near food and/or water. Turkeys love to fill up right before bed. I like to get out really early, like 4:00 or so. Then I just sit as quiet as possible. I do some clucks and purrs along with some soft to midrange yelps once in a while. I dont get loud or aggressive unless the hens start chirpin back. Almost every evening I get Toms to 70 yards. Then comes the hard part. That last 20 or so yards!!! If they dont get close enough, watch where they go and listen where they fly up to.