Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Shooting turkeys on the roost >

Shooting turkeys on the roost

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Shooting turkeys on the roost

Old 02-04-2005, 08:31 AM

Default Shooting turkeys on the roost

I was wondering how many of you think this is okay. The subject came up on another message board, and it seems some people in NJ think it's okay not only to shoot them on the roost, but also write stories for a web site bragging about it. I always thought it was unethical to do so, but a few seem to think it's a good tactic, or a "golden opportunity" as the writer of the story stated.

Is it just me, or is this considered unethical behavior? I don't want to sound like an elitists, so tell me if I'm wrong, do they do that in places besides NJ?
edited due to not allowing to be able to post another hunting web site with in the forums.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Shooting turkeys on the roost

Why would you want to. It's not what Turkey hunting is about.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:40 AM

I wasn't aware no other web site links could be posted here. Seems kinda strange, but I guess rules are rules.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:18 AM

First off, Where is it legal to shoot them off the roost anyway? Its not legal here in Florida.
If it were legal I dont think I would do it anyway.

"Hunters will never stop debating the ethics of hunting over food plots, hunting with rifles,, evening hunting in roost areas, shooting jakes, fall hunting and countless other topics. The only way to measure right or wrong is to ask whether you're obeying the law, and then let your conscience be your guide, because you cant dictate
someone elses concept of whats ethical"
JIM SHLENDER
Editor of Turkey and Turkey hunting magazine

Very well said. imo .

/
Old 02-04-2005, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's legal here after 7:30. I have only seen a few in the tree that late and it was usually during a downpour. I have never shot a roosted bird. Don't think I ever will either.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Shooting a turkey on the roost is kinda pointless.[:'(]

It would be like getting a turkey at the store and saying you were hunting.[:@]

What would be the point of going if you were going to blast away at the trees.

That is so unsportsman like.

It would be like catching fish out of a barrel.

Wheres the chalange at ?

To me shooting a turkey out of the roost is poaching.

Some things just burn me up.

I would rather go all my whole life and not get a turkey than to get one that way.

But thats me.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:53 AM

Shooting them on the roost is not only unethical, it's pitiful, and usually illegal.

Hal
Old 02-04-2005, 12:40 PM

Talked to the Dnr a couple of seasons ago and they said as long as you have leagal shooting light it was leagal. I have never shot one off the limb before. To be honest with ya I really cant sit hear and say I would never do it. If it was the last day of the season and I havent been able to harvest one and I had one on the limb and it was leagal shoting light I really think I would let him have it. But this is coming from a guy who dosent kill 1 or more turkeys every season. I'm sure the guys out there that think that this is unethical are the guys who limit out on gobblers on a regular bases
Old 02-04-2005, 01:07 PM

This subject can be debated back and forth as far as ethics. I personally do not shoot turkeys off the roost, but I work with a couple of guys that do. They grew up stalking turkeys, not calling turkeys. It's natural for them to stalk and shoot if the bird is in the tree or on the ground. I would have a hard time telling them it was unethical. Their stories are often a blast to listen to. They say it's a challenge to tip-toe in under a gobbler at daylight, and many times are detected and come home with nothing. It's not like they walk in pitch black dark and shoot him while he's sleeping. They get up just like we do and wait for one to gobble, then stalk him. If they can tip-toe under him, good for them.
WM
Old 02-04-2005, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I feel the same way about stalking turkeys that you guys do about shooting them off of the roost. It just isn't the point. Either way you are sneaking up on the bird. The only difference is whether or not it's on the ground or in the tree. Infact the argument could be made that is more ethical to sneak up and shoot them from a tree than it is to sneak up and shoot them from the ground since they have a better field of view from the tree. JMO

Quick Reply: Shooting turkeys on the roost

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.