Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 How do you clean your bird? >

How do you clean your bird?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How do you clean your bird?

Old 05-23-2003, 09:17 PM

Default How do you clean your bird?

I breast ' em as follows:

Remove the wings, breaking the wingbone at between the 1st and 2nd joints.

Starting with a small cut made at the area the equivalent of a human' s abdomen, pull away/remove the skin from the breast area and partially around the back to near the spine, using your knife to assist.

Seperate the breast and rib cage area from the rest of the carcass by cutting completely between the spine and " shoulder blade" area on the back on both sides.

After cutting the ribs along both sides of the " chest" , pull the breast away from the spine/rest of the carcass, pulling from " bottom" to top and rolling the breast over the spine, etc.

All done. Takes me less than 10 minutes.

[b][/b
Old 05-24-2003, 02:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you clean your bird?

either that way, or boil it for a minute or so, then pluck it(you can burn the lil itty bitty feathers off)...then the fun part, i get to pull evrything out i hate that part, but i know i have to do it, puking all the while, but i get her done
Old 05-24-2003, 04:41 AM

LOL! After doing my first bird yesturday i just wanted to know if they all stunk that bad when you were gutting them out. Smelled alot worse then any deer i have ever gutted. [X(]
Old 05-24-2003, 09:09 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-25-2003, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Expose the breast by making a small incision along the breast bone and then pull the skin to the sides.Then I fillet the breast meat right off the bone.Do it this way and I dont open up that body cavity!Cutt the meat in chunks and strips and its deep fried turkey nuggets gllore!!!YUMYUM!!If you hit the bird in the body cavity with your shot plan on a nasty smelling experience!!
Old 05-25-2003, 11:36 AM

then the fun part, i get to pull evrything out i hate that part, but i know i have to do it, puking all the while, but i get her done
Huntnma, a little trick I use may help,if you have a bucket or garbage can handy, hang him by the neck, slit the abdomen and gravity does most of the work. I know it' s not feasible in the field but if your near camp,truck etc... it is a little cleaner then doing it the hard way
Old 05-25-2003, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

after the first couple of times , i learned just to breast em out and cook the rest for soup....if i decide i want the whole bird for deep frying, then i' ll make sure i can do it that wayi' ll bring some rope/twine with me just in case
Old 05-29-2003, 04:06 AM

if you only breast out the bird;you loss a lot of good eating.

I hang my bird by the neck(if broken bad;as close to the body as possible) I then start at the hanging rope,and just pull the skin down.cut wing off at the 2nd joint.cut off feet pull all skin down to knee.hanging this way you can turn and make sure you get all the feathers and down off.

take bird down and lay on back.run knife down breast bone and follow bones to wing joint.push both legs out real hard,this seperates the joint,cut legs off,then wings.
Then the mess part,split the thin skin at point of breast.reach in and pull all the innerds out.save liver and gizzard.cut along the ribs and pull the back from ribs,cut back into(two parts),cut the wings off whats left.

you got breast for frying and all the parts for making dressing.(if you ever make wild turkey dressing) you will save everything you can.
I save everything I can except the gobble,would save that if I could catch it.