Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How to clean a bird -

Old 03-20-2004, 03:26 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default How to clean a bird -

I put two power point programs together for the Hunter
Education classe I teach in Wisonsin. It has been well received.

So I thought that since this web has so many first time turkey hunters - it may help you after you have his dead cold neck in your hands!

Okay I was asked so I will post. What else!

I will cover how I filet out the meat, save the wings for calls and where to cut the tail.

On another post I will cover how I mount the tail.

First I flip the brid on its back as I start breast side up.

I use the smalles Rapala filet knife. Don't need nothing bigger.

I first take care of cutting the beard away by grabbing skin past the point the beard is attached. Cut this off and set it aside we will take care of this later.

Here I have grabbed skin behind the beard as it is attached at the breast.

My first cut

Finished product - note the extra skin - we will trim that later and then treat the beard to dry.

Okay from this slit in the breast where I have removed the beard I cut the skin all the way back from neck to head. Use the keel bone of the breast as your guide. The keel bone will be a whitish yellow colored hard ridge dead center between both breasts. [Note the gobble box or gobble air sac sticking out]

or start cutting from the body cavity just belwo the breast bone straight up. I do not cut into the body cavity to expose the guts at all unless you want the heart and giblet.

Here I have the skin pulled back to the thighs and have exposed the gobble box to which I will trim out.

Notice how clean my hands are. This done right really ain't all that messy! ;D

Above the gobble box is trimmed out - just leave it there - no need to remove it.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:27 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: How to clean a bird -

Next thing I do is trim the skin off the drum sticks by cutting along one side and peeling it back. The below picture I am cutting the feet off at the drum knuckle. I save the feet as I use the spurs or the whole leg for hunter safety classes or the spurs to adorn a wingbone call.

Do the same to the other side.

I now cut along the keel bone (breast bone from the neck region down the breast bone to the body cavity. I then filet this off and it should look like this.

Take the second breast off and put aside - we will trim these later.

Got ahead of myself a bit but this picture shows the backside of the bird.

Notice I have not or will not cut into the body cavity. This also shows where I cut the thighs off.

Now take the legs and push flat. You should hear the thigh bone pop out of the socket and they should lay flat.
I cut from the above thigh connection through the thigh bone joint and straight back until this is free [Next 2 pictures]

That is it!

the last thing I do is I cut the wings off at the body and save for wingbone calls.

I will then cut the tail off at the narrowest point between the body and tail.

Set this aside we will mount this later.

Now I trim all loose membrane off the breast. You'l see it. Use your filet knife. Also trim out any shot or holes, blod clots anything that don't look right. This helps give you the best piece of meat you can get. You should end up with two very nice pieces of wild turkey white meat. Rinse in cold water and freeze. I then cut the thigh free from the drum stick, trim as above, and wash and freeze these too. Do save the drum stick bone for a future wingbone call and a very good slate striker.

All said and done this takes me about 15 minutes of my time and trouble. After all you all shot this bird...et your trophy! ;D

JW
Old 03-20-2004, 03:28 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I also have a tail mount presentation if any body is interested.

JW
Old 03-20-2004, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

What a great post JW.Thanks for postin it.I'm sure alot of the flock here would like to see the tail presentatin too
Old 03-20-2004, 04:05 PM

Great post!! But please post the wing bone portion! and the mounting of the tail!!

Thanks Robert
Old 03-20-2004, 04:16 PM

great post. Thanks a lot!
Old 03-20-2004, 05:21 PM
JW
Super Moderator

hey thanks guys and gals - yes I will post my tail mount method..

JW!
Old 03-20-2004, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for a great post.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:25 PM

thanks jw. that was a nice post.

I hang by bird by the head and skin the whole bird.then I take him down and do it the same way you do.
The only thing I do you don't is I save all the bird,I throw away nothing.
I save the big portion of the wing and the back,and tail part of the carcus for my turkey dressing.

I remove the guts,cleanout the carcus and cut into smaller portions and put into the crock pot and cook down till all the meat falls of the bone(A LOT OF MEAT THERE).
I remove all the meat , strain the juice,use the juice to cook my rice for the dressing.
some good eating.

show the tail mount also. thanks for the post.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

...NICE POST..WELL DONE..PLEASE SHOW THE WINGBONE,AND THE DETAIL
OF THE ONES YOU SAVE..THANKS...IM SURE IT WILL HELP..[:-][:-]

Quick Reply: How to clean a bird -

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.