Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Bird-flu and how it may affect our game bird population. >

Bird-flu and how it may affect our game bird population.

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Bird-flu and how it may affect our game bird population.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:44 AM

Default Bird-flu and how it may affect our game bird population.

I have been doing some research on the Bird flu and it's not a good four cast for the North American game and domestic birds. We need to monitor the populations of all birds not just chickens. New evidence has turned up some preferred careers of the virus. Swans, Geese, ducks and wild Turkey. We as hunters must be ready to be on the front line of this fight and we can very well help prevent a pandemic "if its sick report it"
Ayutthaya province CHINA has been put under bird flu surveillance following the mass deaths of free-range ducks in Bang Pahan district. More than 1,500 ducks were culled by local livestock officials yesterday after 93 of the birds in the same flock died on Thursday from a still-undetermined cause.
Leading UK feline welfare charity, Cats Protection, is urging pet owners not to panic about their pet’s health, or their own health, following the death of a domestic cat from bird flu in Germany.

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) -- South Korean quarantine officials are set to slaughter 386,000 poultry after an outbreak of a highly pathogenic version of bird flu, the agriculture ministry said Saturday.
The outbreak occurred at a chicken farm in Cheonan, about 92 kilometers (57 miles) south of Seoul, earlier this week, the fifth such outbreak since November, said Lee Joo-won, a ministry official.
The official said it would take some time to confirm whether the virus is the deadly H5N1 strain of bird flu.
South Korea culled 5.3 million birds during the last known outbreak of bird flu in 2003. The H5N1 virus began ravaging Asian poultry stocks in late 2003 and has killed more than 160 people worldwide.
Bird flu was first detected in Egypt in February 2006 and has spread to at least 19 of the country's 26 provinces. The discovery of avian flu in the Middle East has led to widespread amassing of birds.
LONDON - Mutations in the bird flu virus have been found in two infected people in Egypt, in a form that might be resistant to the medication most commonly used to treat the deadly disease, the World Health Organization said Thursday.
The mutations in the H5N1 virus strain were not drastic enough to make the virus infectious enough to spark a pandemic, WHO officials said. But more such mutations could prompt scientists to rethink current treatment strategies.
Samples taken from two bird flu patients in Egypt - a 16-year-old girl and her 26-year-old uncle - were not as responsive as regular H5N1 viruses to Tamiflu, a drug also know as oseltamivir that is used to treat the disease, the officials said.
The girl and her uncle died in late December, as did the man's 35-year-old sister, although she has not yet been confirmed as having had H5N1. The three - who lived together in Gharbiyah province, 50 miles northwest of Cairo - fell ill within days of one another after being exposed to sick ducks.
While experts believe there is currently very little risk to people in the United States, it is always wise to practice good hygiene when handling or cleaning wild birds or poultry. Here are some specific practices to follow:

Clean completely
If you have come in contact with wild birds, do not rub your eyes, eat, drink, or smoke before you wash. Wash your hands thoroughly in soap and water or alcohol-based hand products. Flu viruses are also inactivated with many common disinfectants such as detergents, 10 percent household bleach, and alcohol. The USGS National Wildlife Health Center offers cleaning recommendations.

Cook thoroughly
Cook all meat, including wild birds and poultry, thoroughly (155 to 165 degrees Fahrenheit, 64 to 74 Celsius) to kill disease organisms and parasites. Avoid raw or partially cooked (runny) eggs.The Department of Agriculture has some tips on safe food handling.

Handle with care
Hunters should always follow common-sense sanitary practices when handling, cleaning, and preparing wild birds, as described above. Be sure to sanitize knives, other cleaning tools, and food preparation surfaces.

Admire from a distance
As a general rule, you should observe wildlife, including wild birds, from a distance. This protects you from possible exposure to viruses and minimizes the disturbance to the animal. Wear disposable gloves when cleaning or handling backyard feeders, bird baths or other equipment.

Inform authorities
If you find a sick or dead animal, contact your state, county, tribal, or local natural resources agency

Stay informed
While the HP5N1 avian influenza strain has not been found in North America, many migratory bird species spend time in areas of the world where the flu is active. The Federal government offers one-stop access to the most current avian influenza information at pandemicflu.gov.

Its up to us to keep an eye out, if you find dead birds report it to your fish and game department. use extra precautions when handling dead birds you have shot. Know we may be called upon as hunters to exterminate mass numbers of birds. this is truly sad to think of. If you read all of this
its worth it and thanks
Elkslayer338

Old 01-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bird-flu and how it may affect our game bird population.

I raise chickens and we are already taking several precautions now and expect more in the future. I'm hearing that it's not a matter of if it gets in the USA but a matter of when it gets in the USA. I hope they're wrong.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:51 PM

Default RE: Bird-flu and how it may affect our game bird population.

It might be here already but not detected, it will be to fowl what CWD is to Deer but way moreextreme. think of all the fowl that would have to be eliminated. Its up to people like you in the poultry industry and are fellow
hunters to report any strange bird sickness or death's. I fear that a lack of education has shadowed a huge threat, we need to inform all hunters of the risk in handling birds it should be part of hunter safety and big ad campaign to alert hunters of the proper handling of fowl is needed.

note my first bull i shot some 18 years ago.I took a bite out of the rawLiver "Big Medicine" I would not have done it if I had known about CWD .
Check this pic out. Now if this kid knew the risk would he do this?