Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Snakes!

Old 03-20-2009, 06:07 AM

Default RE: Snakes!

I'm hunting in Mississippi ,and I always wear them during turkey season.I've already killed a cottonmouth moc in the first week,and as it gets warmer it'll get worse.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt Texas and Arkansas and I wearsnake bootsall the time starting about now. The places I hunt are thick with them and I have almost stepped on a couple of the bad ones before. Even with that, during turkey season, I'm more afraid of sitting on one. Always check the ground around the tree you are about to sit besides.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:30 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I decided to err on the side of caution and bought a nice pair of Danner Pronghorn boots.

They are very comfortable, offer extra support and, of course, snake protection. As mentioned, a good pair of snake boots doesn't replace being aware of your surroundings and they do nothing for your hands or crotch area (ouch!).

There are only three venomous snakes in Ohio. Two are rattlers (one being extremely rare) and the other is the copperhead. I don't plan on running into any, but life has thrown many things at me I never planned for! A snake bite in the foot or leg below the knee won't be one of them!

Thanks again and good hunting!
Old 03-21-2009, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bmumford

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I decided to err on the side of caution and bought a nice pair of Danner Pronghorn boots.

They are very comfortable, offer extra support and, of course, snake protection. As mentioned, a good pair of snake boots doesn't replace being aware of your surroundings and they do nothing for your hands or crotch area (ouch!).

There are only three venomous snakes in Ohio. Two are rattlers (one being extremely rare) and the other is the copperhead. I don't plan on running into any, but life has thrown many things at me I never planned for! A snake bite in the foot or leg below the knee won't be one of them!

Thanks again and good hunting!
Smart move. There may be only three "kinds" of poisonous snakes in Ohio, but you never know how many there are of each kind. Better safe than.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:53 AM
Spike

I had my last day turkey hunting last weekend. I really felt good having my Danner snake boots. I had to walk through a lot of ground covering (and couldn't see at times what I was stepping on or into). I felt better knowing that if there was a snake under there, they wouldn't be able to tag my legs/feet. I was/am very careful about where I sit and watching my hands/arms.

Even if I never see a snake in my life, I will always have more confidence each and every time I set foot in the woods. These things are great--I love them! They are very comfortable too!