Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

turkey hunting newbie

Old 01-14-2009, 12:05 PM

Default turkey hunting newbie

I've always wanted to do it. I've bought some calls in the past, bought the shells, even bought a turkey choke, but never have got around to do it serious enough to kill one. This year I really want to kill one.

What calls do I need to master?
Do I need decoys?
What are some good calls to start out and learn with?
How do I scout?

These are jsut a few questions I have right now. I plan on picking you turkey guys brains until march so I hope yall dont mind!Any advice or information you guys have beyond my few questions feel free to let it all out. I hunt in South Carolina.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Banned

Default RE: turkey hunting newbie

ORIGINAL: redneck buck hunter
Every call, but for I started off when a slate pot call, but you need to master a mouth call, so you can call hands free.

Do I need decoys?
I never use decoys, but then again, I don't hunt in open fields. Depends on your situation.

What are some good calls to start out and learn with?
See above post. Pot and box calls are the easiest.

How do I scout?
Go to areas where you think turkeys might frequent during the day. Look for scratching, droppings, tracks, etc. Then the next morning or afternoon, just listen to see if you can here them fly up or gobble. Stay atleast 100 yards away and out of sight.

It's not that hard.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

The box call and the slate call are the two easiest to master I believe. Get the basic sounds down and you should do fine.
You do not need decoys....sometimes they help, and sometimes they dont.
Most any call will be ok to start with, they key is to practice, practice, practice. You want to master the basic sounds and then move on from there.
Try to find areas where the leaves have been scratched away, feathers around trees (roosting areas), turkey droppings, turkey tracks, dusty bowls where they like to dust themselves. Once you find their roosting area try to find where they are feeding, and strutting. Once you have done that you can try to find the way they get from the roost to their feeding areas.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I see no need to elaborate on the excellent advise you have on the first 3 questions, but I would like to add some on scouting. If you find turkeys on a tract of land one year, unless something changes, they'll be there in subsquent years as well. But, turkeys move around alot during the day. My goal when I'm scouting, is as much to learn the landscape as to learn where the turkeys happen to be that day. Know where the fencelines are, where the ditches are, where are the easiest route of travel between feeding areas, Where I hunt, the turkeys have multiple roosting spots. They could be in any one of them on a given morning. I try to find the best approaches to each one of those spots so that I can slip in quietly no matter where they are. If I don't pick them up right away, WhereI canintrcept them during their daily routine. Know your land and you'll know your turkeys.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:39 AM
Typical Buck

Well those replies basically covered it but id like to add a few things for when your actually in the hunting situation. DON'T MOVE!!! Turkey's eyesight is one of the best, they say that a turkey can see you blink from 30 yards. Also, if the turkeys are showing interest then shut up and let them come, sometimes when you get em all fired up and they just wont come just shut up and it peaks their interest. They also tend to pop out of no where and come in silent so whenever your on stand try to keep any movement to a minimum because you cant beat their eyes.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Make sure your gun is sighted in with turkey loads. The easiest call to master is the push button call. Then the slate and box calls. Decoys, yes I use them and they work. One of the best points mentioned above is practice. Remember have patiences as well. It make take you hours to call a bird in to shoot. Know your gun, know your calls and know the area...
Old 01-16-2009, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with all the advice everyone's given so far.I just wanted to add one thing. I think the best determinant of how successful you will be is how willing you are to vary your approach. Don't be dead set on one approach, like always using decoys, sitting the same spot, or using the same calling style. If something doesn't seem to be working, don't hesitate to change your approach. All turkeys are different and turkeys act differently at different times. Sometimes turkeys will come charging into your decoys, and sometimes they will veer off away from them. Sometimes it is best to call a lot and get the turkeys excited. Other times, it's best to yelp once or twice and then shut up, or not call at all. Pay attention to what the turkeys are doing, and then base your approach off of that. Oh, one more thing. When scouting for turkeys, DO NOT use a turkey call. A lot of people still do this, and the only thing it accomplishes is making the turkeys call shy. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Spike

Like everyone has noted the two easiest calls to master are the box call and the slate. I personally prefer primos brand calls because over the past several years they have come up with several newbie-friendly turkey calls. Primos's Heart Breaker box call is in my opinion the best box call out on the market. It produces sharp cuts and soft yelps however the call is a tad pricey. They also have a new line of sonic dome diaphragm calls that position the call correctly in your mouth. Its a great call for hunters trying to learn to use a diaphragm call. This website will aid in teaching you the natural sounds of turkeys.

http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/calling_tips.html

Do I need Decoys?

I personally prefer to use decoys howeverI know many turkey hunters who are just as successful if not more successful than I am. I like using them in just about every situation because it gives the bird something to look. I ve had to many birds come in and not see the bird thats been calling to him and get skiddish. I prefer two hens and a jake set up because i ve had very good success with this set up. Last season I wacked two long beards that came busting in looking to kick a*s. The jake decoy seems to always p*ss them off.

How do I scout?

This has to be my favorite part of hunting. I started scouting for turkey a couple weeks ago by putting a trail camera up and a fedder to help the deer herd throughout the winter and see how manylong beardsare roaming the property. When scouting for turkeys pay close attention to open fields beings long beards love strutting in the open to attract the attention of any lone hens in the area. I am not too sure where you are located but in my home state of Pennsylvania we have many hills and the turkeys seem to always roost where the hillsides come to a point. Contrary to what IHUNTANDFISH had to say about calling I have nothing againstusing a turkey callto locate a longbeards right before the season however I believe too much calling and calling from the same location repeatedly is not a very good idea. I like usinga box call to get a gobbler to sound off from a long way off when the season comes nearer and i ve never had any problem with this method but hey everyone has their own method to success. One thing you need to understand before you head into the woods in pursuit of a longbeard is that you are hunting a bird. These animals are dumb, plain and simple. What makes them hard to kill is their instinct. I ve called in groups of birds that have been shot at and missed twice before finally killing one. Good luck this season and let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

In my experience all you need to know is how to yelp and cut. The glass call is easy to learn and one of my favorites, but for close in the mouth call is best.
Decoys... I always take em but only use em half the time.I say take a hen and a simple Jake they will take the attention off of you if you move, and may bring the gobbler in those last steps,but you may not need them.
Find an area where turkeys have been spotted and look for ridges with some somewhat level or less steep areas with water close and look for sign or better yet call with an owl call etc. right at early dark to roost em.
Have fun! and be Safe
Old 02-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

It looks like you got alot of great advise. If you are hunting private land the landowner can be a big help. He made my first turkey easier than it should be. It takes a little time, but once you have the property and turkeys figured out it gets a little easier. Also, if you don't get one right away after they fly down don't give up. I've shot most of my birds mid morning after the hens go to there nest and toms are on there own. One last thing don't spend money on those fancy tom decoys (not yet anyway) get your first younger tom out of the way then go for the big boss tom if you want. It seems some of the younger toms will hang up if they see the tom decoy. Just my 02. Good luck this spring!!!