Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 No longer a Turkey Newbie >

No longer a Turkey Newbie

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

No longer a Turkey Newbie

Old 04-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Spike

Default No longer a Turkey Newbie

I was invited by a friend of mine to his families hunting camp in North Florida. Its well setup with all the essentials, plus you are only minutes from your hunting spot.[/align][/align]We headed up there on Saturday got to the camp around 2pm, we headed out to some of the property and did some recon scouting to see if we could find any tracks of the birds. Problem was it had been raining like cats and dogs up there fora week with well of 14" of water hitting the ground in that time so finding tracks was tough, but not impossible. While scouting we saw 3 turkeys, and 2 deer. We found a good spot close to where he got his first turkey kill just a couple of weeks ago and cleared it out for us to have a good earth blind for the next morning.[/align][/align]We headed back out early Sunday and were sitting in the blind by 6:15am and then the wait began. Once the sun started coming up around 7:00,Joeworked his turkey call and we got a few gobbles back but nothing close. Then at 7:45 a singlegoobler showed up about 150yards from us, I motioned to Joe just as the turkey started working his way uptowards us(it helped thathe put a hen decoy about 15 yards behind us). I started to pull my shotgun up to take aim (afterJoereminded me!), and I hit a small tree branch with the barrell that just barely shuttered the leaves, but that turkey saw it right away and stopped for a second and looked at both of us. He then turned and started to run to get his speed up to fly off and Joe is sitting behind me saying "shoot, shoot, shoot" so I did, hit him from about 40/50 yards and folded him right up. First turkey kill in the books.[/align][/align]Getting that first kill is addictive,I can't wait to get back out in the woods.[/align][/align]">[/align][/align]">[/align]
Old 04-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: No longer a Turkey Newbie

Nice bird, now you're hooked. Too bad you have to wait 11 months just to enjoy a few weeks.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:26 PM
TDE
Spike

Nice job, welcome to the most addicting hunting on earth!
Old 04-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice bird. Congrats.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! You wont ever forget your first!
Old 04-07-2009, 01:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on your first
Old 04-07-2009, 01:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, can't wait till I get my first bird.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on the bird and nice job
Old 04-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats
but unfortunately i'm sorry to tell you that there is no cure for the disease you have growing inside now.lol
congrats again
Old 04-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!

Quick Reply: No longer a Turkey Newbie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.