Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 One thing to think about...... >

One thing to think about......

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

One thing to think about......

Old 03-07-2003, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default One thing to think about......

Dave Streb and I got togeather for a meeting today and a subject came up about , Turkeys and there eye sight and seeing colours.
Well the topic went on that Dave thought that Turkeys are very keen to the colour Orangeand tend to advoid it when they see it in the woods. When asked by another fellow why he thought this way,He responed that Most Big Game hunters are wareing Orange vests and hats and are ALL the time bumping birds in the woods. The birds are learning that this colour is something to stay away from, because of this issue. I thought this was very well thought out and would have to tend to agree. What do you think of this mined work?...BT

Old 03-07-2003, 07:38 PM

Default RE: One thing to think about......

Well, it certainly stands to reason that a wild turkey could relate hunter orange to a dangerous situation. I have had turkeys spot me from several hundred yards away while I sat motionless with a hunter orange vest on in a treestand during firearms deer season. All it takes is a glimpse of that bright orange and they are hightailing it to the nearest cover! So I don' t have a hard time believing that theory.
Old 03-08-2003, 05:16 AM

But on the other hand... I have on video some footage of my father sitting in a chair at the edge of a cut bean field during rifle season, and have 16 turkeys walk right by him within 10 yards, and never even lifted their heads. So I bet it would have to do with hunting pressure in a given area. But in no way am I in favor of blaze orange during turkey season.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:34 AM

I remember a few years ago a decoy company was experimenting with blaze orange in place of the white wing feathers for safety. They claimed it didn' t spook birds. I' ve worn an orange hat when moving around on public land just to be on the safe side, but I have no idea if I bumbed any birds or not.

It all boils down to safety awareness and good ol horse sense. In other words, keep your finger off the damn trigger till you KNOW ABSOLUTELY FOR SURE you are looking at an ACTUAL turkey. Not something that sounded like a turkey. Not something that kinda looks like a turkey. An actual walking, talking, head bobbing TURKEY. " I thought it was a turkey" doesn' t cut it in my book. [:@]

Personally, I hunt defensively. I always assume there is some idiot out there that may think I' m Mr. Tom. And in the back of my mind I may know I' m the only one out there, but I won' t touch the trigger until that gobbler is in plain view and in range. Period.

I say wear orange if it makes ya feel secure. The possiblility of spooking a bird or two is worth not getting shot at by some over eager, untrained, unsafe, FOOL.

If I' ve offended anyone, well, you need to go take a hunter safety course. Just sayin'

Old 03-08-2003, 07:50 AM

Just wondering, Richie.....If someone were to develope a bright color other than blaze orange to wear, would you be in favor of it? In the name of safety, that is?

There' s lots of schools of thought when it comes to turkey hunting, and I realize that blaze orange is taboo to many, and personally I' m not crazy about it during turkey season. But don' t you think that the ONE thing every turkey hunter should agree on 110% is safety?

The way turkey hunting is growing, many out there of which are the fools I speak of, don' t you think we owe it to the sport to make things safer somehow?

Old 03-08-2003, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

In PA, your only required to wear orange while moving when your turkey hunting