HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - One thing to think about......
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2003, 07:34 AM
TrkEmon

Default RE: One thing to think about......

I remember a few years ago a decoy company was experimenting with blaze orange in place of the white wing feathers for safety. They claimed it didn' t spook birds. I' ve worn an orange hat when moving around on public land just to be on the safe side, but I have no idea if I bumbed any birds or not.

It all boils down to safety awareness and good ol horse sense. In other words, keep your finger off the damn trigger till you KNOW ABSOLUTELY FOR SURE you are looking at an ACTUAL turkey. Not something that sounded like a turkey. Not something that kinda looks like a turkey. An actual walking, talking, head bobbing TURKEY. " I thought it was a turkey" doesn' t cut it in my book. [:@]

Personally, I hunt defensively. I always assume there is some idiot out there that may think I' m Mr. Tom. And in the back of my mind I may know I' m the only one out there, but I won' t touch the trigger until that gobbler is in plain view and in range. Period.

I say wear orange if it makes ya feel secure. The possiblility of spooking a bird or two is worth not getting shot at by some over eager, untrained, unsafe, FOOL.

If I' ve offended anyone, well, you need to go take a hunter safety course. Just sayin'