Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

FROM VOCAL TO QUIET?

Old 04-23-2008, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default FROM VOCAL TO QUIET?

Yesterday the gobblers where talking alot, and todaywe went on 3 differnt properties and not one gobbler was heard. I saw 4 gobblers together, and they wouldn't reply back to my the calling. So what, if any reason why would they be talking all-day one day and the next they are quieter then a church mouse?
Old 04-23-2008, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: FROM VOCAL TO QUIET?

I had the same thing here, but just the opposite, quiet for 3 days and Gobbling like crazy on the 4th day! I wish I knew the answer!!![8D]
Old 04-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Typical Buck

I have noticed that sometimes after being real hot the birds will suddenly shut up for a day. I dunno if they wear themselves out or what. It could be there is no rhyme or reason..."just turkeys being turkeys" (this is what I say everytime the birds trick me by doing the exact opposite of what I expect them to do for no apparent reason what-so-ever...I say this a lot)
Old 04-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BOWHUNTERCOP

Yesterday the gobblers where talking alot, and todaywe went on 3 differnt properties and not one gobbler was heard. I saw 4 gobblers together, and they wouldn't reply back to my the calling. So what, if any reason why would they be talking all-day one day and the next they are quieter then a church mouse?
Easy... yesterday they found the hens they were looking for and for the next week to ten days unless there is a storm or a cold snap you can expect relative silence. Find the hens... you'll find the gobblers... focus on calling to the hens.... he will follow.

Just my opinion.... a low pressure system will shut them up fast too. We've got hens and a low pressure system and even the hens are only sporattically clucking.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was going to go next week, but as of now the weather for next week will be much cooler then it has been and rain. Don't know if I should go or save my money on the permit and go the following week
Old 04-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

Cant answere why turkeys will gobble like crazy one day then not a sound the next. But just becouse they arent gobbling doesnt mean they arent there. Find some good turkey sign then sit and call for a while.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:16 AM

Tom turkeys usually gobble when they are not with, or have not been with, thehens. Gobbling usually peaks when the toms are not with hens, but want to be with them. Then when they are with the hens, they switch to strutting, spitting and drumming to attract the hens. Once most of the hens have nested, the toms start gobbling again, because they still want to breed, but the hens don't , because they are on the nest.

Rainy or windy days also reduce gobbling.

Itcould bethe weather, or the toms may be between gobbling peaks, or the tomsare not in your "hearing" area, or they just don't feel like gobbling.

Check out these Gobbling Activity Graphs, they might help you understand - http://www.trmichels.com/TurkeyActivityGraphs.htm.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Because, Turkeys arent supposed to do that, so they do...