Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

going to missouri

Old 02-19-2003, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default going to missouri

Im going to missouri this spring to the marktwain ntl.Ft near Hannabel. Whats the best time to catch them gobblin? Opening week or late season?
Old 02-19-2003, 04:07 PM

Default RE: going to missouri

Boy, that' s a tough question to answer! In the majority of years past, I would say they have gobbled better in the earlier part of the season. But last spring it was the opposite around here. I heard very little gobbling compared to normal the first 2 weeks (wasn' t out any the 3rd week) but way after the season was over, around the 1st week of June, I was out fishing at 6:30 a.m. near where I hunt and they were gobbling their heads off! Go figure! I would have given anything to have heard gobbling like that back in April. I don' t know if this was just a localized problem of little gobbling early on or widespread over the state. But I would say if you have the chance to go the 1st or 2nd week, take it. As a rule, you will probably hear more gobbling then and have a better chance at success also. Good luck and enjoy the MO hunt.

Old 02-19-2003, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: going to missouri

Rochelle, I think you will be able to hear some birds about anytime during our season, one thing to keep in mind though is that you can take 2 birds, but just 1 the first week, so if you wait until the 2nd or 3rd week you can take both birds, just not on the same day.