Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Recoil

Old 03-31-2008, 10:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Recoil

Very true, and for some reason my ears don't ring after the shot. If I were to just go out side and fire a shot with no hearing protection, my ears would ring a little. I am sure the adrenelian(?) rush has something to do with it.
ORIGINAL: Hick442

when you are shooting at a bird you won't be able to feel the kick anyways.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:28 PM
Typical Buck

I too agree with everything said. I have a Mossberg 835. When shooting 3.5" loads, my shoulder, cheek, and earstook a beating. After shooting 5 consecutive shots of 3.5" 00 BUCK at a deer running (during a drive) I broke down and bought the Remington R3 recoil pad. It increases trigger pull, but the recoil ismanageable. My ears are still ringing due to the porting system on the 835. Next year, I'm going to by a Benelli SPE!

Old 03-31-2008, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had one of the earlier 835's when they first came out many years ago, and the only shell company way back then that even made shells for the 3 1/2" 12 gauge was Federal. After taking only 9 shots at the pattern range with that particular gun, I had enough!! My shoulder was so sore and brusied up that I couldn't even think of shooting a .410 for two weeks!!
A 3" shell is more than enough to get the job done, and probably will pattern better than a 3 1/2" shell. I've long since sold off that 835 and went with a Winchester 1300 in a 3" gun instead. You couldn't sellme a 3 1/2" gun now!!!!
[:-]
Old 03-31-2008, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

Maytom

I also shoot the Mossberg 835 with max loaded 3.5" Nitro Triplex loads. Until I tweaked the gun it kicked like he!!. However, with a ported 24" barrel, ported Star Dot choke, Sims Limbsaver recoil pad and the addition of a scope (added weight with the scope, base rail and rings) that monster turned into a lamb. I have no trouble shooting the gun. Perceived recoil is far less tha my standard 870 with 3" loads. The 870 jarrs you, but this double ported Mossy is just a big push - not a sharp kick. That Limbsaver pad made a big difference also.

Mothcaller
Old 03-31-2008, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually shoot 3.5 mag, and when I upland hunt, usually shoot 3" I have had a problem with 3.5 shell recoil, one time the recoil busted the lens of my red-dot sight, guy told me it was shock proof!
Old 04-01-2008, 09:14 AM

I have a Remington 10 guage autoloader and have found that the recoil is far more tolerable shooting 2 1/4 oz.3 1/2" magums with this gun than itis with 3" magnums in a 12 guage pump. Between the weight of the gun, 11 pounds, and the autoloading action the recoil with the 10 guage is more like a hard push than a sharp blow to the shoulder.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:55 AM

During the test pattering of heavy turkey loads it is very possible to develop a “Flinch.” In repeated shots the “Flinch” can become second nature and the automatic reaction can happen with or without the shooter be totally conscious of their reaction to an anticipated shot.

One can use a “Snap Cap” to check their reaction and I bet many shooters would be amazed they are jumping from the recoil which can “Yes” effect the point of impact especially with very tight shooting chokes at short and/or long range.

Anyone who was done any amount of shooting has probably noticed the “Flinch” reaction. If one says I might “Flinch” on the range, but I will not “Flinch” on the turkey, they are probably lying to them selfs...once developed it becomes second nature and can be cured but only by a concentrated effort.

If you are spending big $$ and time patterning your shotgun, choke and loads to get your gun's best performance, you might want to verify you also have yourself “Flinch” free so you can perform as well as your gun.

Some people discover instantly they were just not “Put together” to handle the pounding of heavy recoil and for some others it takes time for them to realize they will shoot better and take their share of game without the punishment of heavy recoil and big $$.

If you can truly handle it, hey go for it, but be honest with yourself and choose the load which you feel comfortable shooting and which will provide a good pattern at a reasonable distance. Extra heavy loads are not a requirement to kill turkeys.....
Old 04-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mouthcaller

Maytom

I also shoot the Mossberg 835 with max loaded 3.5" Nitro Triplex loads. Until I tweaked the gun it kicked like he!!. However, with a ported 24" barrel, ported Star Dot choke, Sims Limbsaver recoil pad and the addition of a scope (added weight with the scope, base rail and rings) that monster turned into a lamb. I have no trouble shooting the gun. Perceived recoil is far less tha my standard 870 with 3" loads. The 870 jarrs you, but this double ported Mossy is just a big push - not a sharp kick. That Limbsaver pad made a big difference also.

Mothcaller
The first 835's way back then didn't come with a ported barrel,or all the other stuff to reduce recoil like they are today. I agree, your gun probably doesn't kick as bad as the one I had.