Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Who got you hooked on turkeys? >

Who got you hooked on turkeys?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Who got you hooked on turkeys?

Old 02-10-2008, 02:08 AM
Spike

Default RE: Who got you hooked on turkeys?

This is going to be hard to explain, but here goes. As I first read this post, my phone rang, my parents calling to tell me that my uncle died this afternoon. He's been inpoor health forever, disabled veteran age 65. I was goaded into turkey hunting by my best friend, but never would have figured out any of it without my uncle's help. He told me where to try first and gave me a plan 'b' idea when the first didn't work. He brought me an owl call to try and explained how roosting a bird worked. When rainy weather threatened, he showed up with a leaf-camo rain suit so I would still go the next day because turkey hunting in the rain works well. I never turkey hunted with my uncle, but I stopped by his house to show him the birds and take pictures. He could make a Rochester Quadrajet run perfectly, and rebuild an automatic transmission. The cars he restored were all metal, and he put on a beautiful paint job. He was a family man, and will have a Christian funeral this week. I will never stop missing him and will probably never turkey hunt without thinking about him.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:19 AM
Typical Buck

"TURKEYS, TURKEYS, TURKEYS"

dog1
Old 02-10-2008, 05:54 AM
Typical Buck

Two of my younger brothers. We always deer hunted together and they were into it a couple of years before me,,kinda figured out the learning curve and then I just stepped in and started killing birds
Old 02-10-2008, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

My father introduced me to the woods...man am I glad he did!!!
Old 02-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

Myself!
Had to go down hunting in the southern part of MN.,the state I live in, to try for my first bird 20 years back. While I didn't get a bird my first year, I got hooked in a big way! I hunted again in MN. the following a year and managed to take a bird, and I have been chasing after them everyear since. I go to mutipule states each year now, as I cann't seem to get enough with just hunting them here in MN.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:57 AM

My grandpa got me hooked. In high school he would find the them for me then take me and call them in for me. He has also taught me everything I know about those wily birds.
Bubbahoo seems like I was the first person to take you turkey hunting. If not for me I don't know if you would be into like you are now. Give me a little credit.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: MaxPowers

My grandpa got me hooked. In high school he would find the them for me then take me and call them in for me. He has also taught me everything I know about those wily birds.
Bubbahoo seems like I was the first person to take you turkey hunting. If not for me I don't know if you would be into like you are now. Give me a little credit.
Yes, yes, you were the first person to "take" me, even though you "took" me on my lease. I did give you some credit with giving me the motivation to get into turkey hunting.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Mother, She is the best Turkey hunter I know or have ever met. She has a nack for calling and setting up for them. There are so many people that ask her advice and also ask for her to call for them she is out every day all season long. I have a kick butt Mom.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

learningturkeys,
So sorry to hear of his passing. Just know that he will always be out there watching overyou as your hunting, and that he has left this dreary world to go to the Ultimate Hunting Grounds.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

A friend took me been hooked ever since.

Quick Reply: Who got you hooked on turkeys?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.