HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Who got you hooked on turkeys?
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 02:08 AM
learningturkeys
Spike

Default RE: Who got you hooked on turkeys?

This is going to be hard to explain, but here goes. As I first read this post, my phone rang, my parents calling to tell me that my uncle died this afternoon. He's been inpoor health forever, disabled veteran age 65. I was goaded into turkey hunting by my best friend, but never would have figured out any of it without my uncle's help. He told me where to try first and gave me a plan 'b' idea when the first didn't work. He brought me an owl call to try and explained how roosting a bird worked. When rainy weather threatened, he showed up with a leaf-camo rain suit so I would still go the next day because turkey hunting in the rain works well. I never turkey hunted with my uncle, but I stopped by his house to show him the birds and take pictures. He could make a Rochester Quadrajet run perfectly, and rebuild an automatic transmission. The cars he restored were all metal, and he put on a beautiful paint job. He was a family man, and will have a Christian funeral this week. I will never stop missing him and will probably never turkey hunt without thinking about him.