Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Grand Slam

Old 12-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Spike

Default Grand Slam

Howdy,

I read here alot but dont post much. First off I would like to think everyone who runs and operates this site, it gives us hunts stuff to read and look at when season is in or out no matter what you favorite is. By saying that I am wanting to pursue a Turkey Hunting United States Grad Slam. Turkey is my absolute favorite hunting season of all so nothing could make me love it more than to kill a bird of each species. I want to do Grand Slam with Shotgun first then after 1 hunt a year, turn around and do it again with a bow. I am telling all of you this for a reason.

What would be the best states to go, to bag a bird of each? (Please include what species would be in that state)

P.S - Dont consider Easterns, I live in NC and i have killed a bunch. I am looking for Rio Grand, Osecolla, & Merriams (I cant spell them lol)

THANKS EVERYONE WHO REPLAYS!!!
Old 12-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Grand Slam

I too share your feelings on turkey huntin'. Nothing quite like it. Many times I've left the deer stand bc I heard turkeys.

On to your question. Obviously the Osceola you're going to have to go to Florida. The Rios I'd go to Texas and the Merriams, Colorado (or Wyoming would be my 2nd pick). These are my opinions and are by no means the absolute correct answer. I say these because I have looked into the grand slam and those are the places I'd go.But its too expensive for a poor boy like me. My grand slam will not be in one year but rather in a lifetime (Lord willing) There's a lot of turkey hunters on here that'll give you their choices but that's my $0.02. Hope it helps.

I'd also look into prices of licenses if that makes a difference to you. It would me. That also might help determine the states you want to hunt.

Here's a link from nwtf.org's website that shows all the subspecies' range

http://www.nwtf.org/images/range_map_popup.html

Old 12-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

Texas for a Rio's. South Dakota or Nebraska for a Merriams. Florida is the only state with Osceolas, and then only in the central and southern part of the state.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Spike

Thanks, I believe I will start in texas! Can you guys recommend a good Texas Spring Turkey Outfitter?
Old 12-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

mmorgan,

I would do the two states on management lands because you don't need to pay for merriams and Rio's, Place your expence on the Osceola's as it can be hard to find the right place free to hunt.

Most licence costs in these states are going to be in the average of $125.00 eachgive or take a few bucks.

I've done it a number of times and I never spend a ton of money other then on Gas and motels...
Old 12-13-2007, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

mmorgan Im wanting to do a grand slam as well. We can compare notes if ya want...
Old 12-14-2007, 07:26 AM
Banned

I'm planning on pursuing my Grand Slam as well.

Here are the places that I am planning on trying:

Rios: Black Kettle WMA, Packsaddle WMA, or Ellis County WMA- Oklahoma
Merriams: Black Hills National Grasslands - South Dakota
Osceola: Fish Creek WMA, Richloam WMA, Three Lakes WMA, Green Swamp WMA or get an outfitter

I live in LA, so I don't need to travel for Easterns as well.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:57 AM
Spike

Yeh Arrowmaster that be cool PM me!

When you say Management Lands do you mean Public Gamelands? If so would my success rate be as high as if I went to a outfitter?
Old 12-14-2007, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes that is what I ment. Bubbahoo18has a good lead as I've hunted some of the places he is talking about. Don't pass up the Black Hills I've did that twice and successfull both times....