Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Grand Slam

Old 01-01-2009, 06:35 PM

Default Grand Slam

My buddy and I are looking to do a trip for the Slam. We're both from Michigan, and were looking to try and do it all in one season. The season runs later up here than other states, startingtowardthe end of April and ending May 31st.

We were thinking of Central or South Florida for the Osceola. I was looking at Oklahoma for the Merriams and Rios. I've found that there are some Merriams in the extreme NW corner of the panhandle. I was looking to double up OK to save on license fees and travel time. My buddy has a fifth wheel camper we would take, so hotels wouldn't be an issue. Looking for public land, but possibly private land if the trespassing fees aren't high. Not looking to use any guides.

I was wondering if anyone that hunts in these areas could give some advice on good locations, the bird populations, and any other useful information. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Grand Slam

May not help any but Outdoor Life just did an article about this and they took the same route they also threw in easterns in florida as well.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your going to do it, Kill the proper bird and not highbreads. You'll feel much better in years to come...
Old 01-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

I can't recommend the Merriams in OK. Too much of a chance of killing a hybird, and not a true Merriams.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

You need to make sure they arent Hybrids . They have a fine line where they are located. It like in Florida you can even get a cross of eastern and Osceola Bird. The same for what you are talking about. YOu should find the info on NWTF website .Good luck. My dad killed the grandslam in one season but he flew everywhere. His hardest bird was the eastern bird here in Georgia. Good luck and enjoy it .
Old 01-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

What about the 2 in mexico?

Do it up!

Old 01-02-2009, 09:26 PM

Sounds like I shouldn't go for the Merriams in OK. Anybody have any suggestions on what would be a good state that has resonable license fees and good places to go?

We were looking at the southern half of central FL, or south. Somewhere that is a no draw, and has good public land.

The eastern shouldn't be a problem (knock on wood haha). They are eveywhere up here by us in Michigan, and since the season starts when the others are ending, we shold have a decent amount of time to get the other three out of the way. Thinking about trying to do it in one big road trip, but most likely going to have to break it up. Probably into the Merriams/Rio trip and then south to Florida.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Fork Horn

runge 24, don't know how far west you want to go, but there are ample meriams in
southwest colorado in the san juan nf between pagosa springs and Durango.
I went there 3 years ago and was successful. Lots of fun. I too am looking at a slam,
although not to worried about getting them all in one year. maybe that makes it not
reallya slam, oh well.. Still i'm starting my research on the osceola in Florida.
good luck on your slam. Kevin. Oh I did go to Kansas last year for a Rio, but didn't get
it done, but I did get a hybrid on the way back to missouri in central kansas. But thats
another story. again, good luck.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: onebigelk

runge 24, don't know how far west you want to go, but there are ample meriams in
southwest colorado in the san juan nf between pagosa springs and Durango.
I went there 3 years ago and was successful. Lots of fun. I too am looking at a slam,
although not to worried about getting them all in one year. maybe that makes it not
reallya slam, oh well.. Still i'm starting my research on the osceola in Florida.
good luck on your slam. Kevin. Oh I did go to Kansas last year for a Rio, but didn't get
it done, but I did get a hybrid on the way back to missouri in central kansas. But thats
another story. again, good luck.
Taking all birds in one year is not one bit better then taking all birds in different years. The Goal is to take one of every specie and you have competed the Wild Turkey GrandSlam. To Take all in one year is a large pocket blow up, easily done if you jump on your own plane and way ya go.

The two birds in MX are called a Royal and World. Something that I will not do because of the exspence in money exchange between American and Canadian. I will not pay $4000.00 to shoot a turkey that I know I can kill. I have no intrest in the jungle chickhen what so ever,so it won't even get a chance.

WY or SD are two States that offer pure merriam strain birds. Florida I would not hunt only Central - South for true osceola's that is a large gamble going north as the hybreds are pushing south.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:26 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

I would like to wish you all the best of luck on your slam. I finished mine last year and I remember how excited and releived I was to seal the deal. Again, best of luck on your quest.

Quick Reply: Grand Slam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.