Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Diaphram Call

Old 12-03-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Diaphram Call

Hey all, I just went out this past weekend and bought a brand new double reeded diaphram call. It gives exersizes on the back but I was wondering if anyone had any other successful approaches and patterns of calling that I could work on now before the season comes. I really have had bad luck in my year of turkey hunting, with gun malfunctions, hung up birds, and being busted out of the roost. I think that the diaphram call, with a little practice, will help me the best to remain undetected while calling in a big gobbler. Anyone with success, I encourage your insite on this topic. Thanks mucha nd good luck to all this upcoming spring, it will be here sooner than we can imagine.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Diaphram Call

Being able to use a mouth call will only help in bagging you a gobbler...for sure! I can't think of another call that you can use while having your gun up and ready to fire without as much movement while using a mouth call. Even if you don't get perfect with it, be sure to try and get a few basic calls down. I will tell you know, I am not all that great with a mouth call, but since I really started using them, I get more gobbles from my mouth call than any other call. Mouth calls and slates are what works best for me. Just make sure to practice, practice, practice. You may even try different brands of mouth calls. I know that, for some strange reason, any mouth call that I have ever tried, other than Primos, tickles my mouth. Primos just fits perfect. I don't know if any of this is any help, but take it for what it is worth
Old 12-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like r33h said, practice, practice, practice! Some people can pick up a diaphragm call and work it without much practice at all. I consider myself a lucky one when it comes to mouth calls. I caught on pretty quickly. I had the DVD's and they really taught me a lot. Try practicing with your teeth together. Say the word "chuck". When you start getting sound out of the call, start saying the work "chee-uck".

With a little practice you'll be proficient with the mouth call. They're like riding a bicycle, once you learn you'll always know how. Also, try Youtube or some other video hosting site. Search for videos that show you how to work a diaphragm call. You'll learn a lot from videos.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

Get proficient with soft purrs and yelps with a diaphram call first. You can use the friction calls while the turkeys aren't close in.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Typical Buck

I agree, great advice above!

All good things take time!! Be patient!
Old 12-10-2007, 12:45 PM

i LOVE my slate, i use it till they flop if im not the shooter. if i have the gun, then once they get in sight the gun is on them and i switch over to diaphram. seems to work pretty good
Old 12-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would rate the mouth call as #1 in my call line up... Nine times out of ten... That will be the call I use...
Old 12-10-2007, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

I would rate the mouth call as #1 in my call line up... Nine times out of ten... That will be the call I use...
You wouldn't catch me turkey hunting without one....
Old 12-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

My mouth call always gag me, so I cannot use them, which really sucks.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nick_bleuer76

My mouth call always gag me, so I cannot use them, which really sucks.
Sounds like you are holding it too far back in your mouth. Have you tried it farther forward????? I hold mine right on top of my tounge.

Quick Reply: Diaphram Call

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.