Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey boots

Old 12-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Turkey boots

It's time to get serious about turkey hunting and stop wearing my rubber boots for deer hunting. Obviously I want something lightweight, camo, and water proof. Any suggestions?
Old 12-10-2007, 01:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkey boots

I mainly wear the knee high LaCrosse Burley boots, since the morning dew always seems to get your pant legs wet when walking across any field, andfor crossing any creeks. Actually I own two pair, the other one's their non-insulated "Grange" model for when the temps are much warmer.
I hate wet feet!!!!!!!!

Old 12-10-2007, 05:24 AM
Fork Horn

I mostlywear Wetland boots by Muckbut I alsohave a pair of Cabela's Quest Snake boots that I wear sometimes...I likethe support they give my ankles and legs...Unfortunately Cabelas no longer sells them.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Spend the extra money buy a good quality pair like laCrosse.
I made the mistake of buying a cheap pair for $25.00 last year and my feet hurt so bad I had to take them off by noon.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

the others are right...im always in rubber boots. the spring time dew is a killer...learned that lesson yearrrs ago...spent many days cold and shivering too bad to run a call half decintly because my legs were absolutely soaked...

and i always seem to be crossing a creek...

last year i had 2 longbeards goin nuts opening morning...only, they couldnt see my decoy and me and them both knew at the distance, they SHOULD have seen it...i went in well before sound off time because i knew they were there..setup right around 50-60yds away..decoy between us in the open...did a little tree call and a fly down..they went nuts...but never came down. i knew they thought they should seen the hen..sure enough i put the decoy right behind a big ole shrub [:@] they eventually flew down across the creek...not just any creek...this thing is decint sized and big. found a spot i knew didnt have any holes that would swallow me, and knew it hard a rock bottom, not mud...i swam it...rubber boots just held more water than regular boots lol....never seen or heard them again but, that wasnt the first time i "did what i had to do" and wont be the last...i can still hear them laughing "that idiot swam across that freezing cold creek!!"
Old 12-10-2007, 12:42 PM

im all rubber here as well. i cant bring myself to wear other boots. days that i walk alot, i curse them for making my feet sweat a LOT. but then again, they are life savers for early morning dew and crossing creeks, which i usually just jump though[&:] either way, they work best for me, and i know it may sound stupid, but i deer hunt a lot of this same land i turkey hunt, so naturally i want to keep my scent to a minimum which rubber boots help with.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely do not sacrifice on boots. If you are going to be doing a lot of turkey hunting, then you will be doing a lot of walking. A cheap pair of boots will only shorten the time that you will be out in the field. My first year of hunting, I got a cheap pair of boots, and I would come home with blisters and soar feet. Ever since then, I have bought a "nice" pair of boots that don't sacrifice on comfort. I personally don't wear rubber boots while turkey hunting...I haven't really had a problem with wet feet. I live in Texas and there is a morning dew on the ground, but hasn't ever been enough to make a difference. The boots I wear come up to about mid-calf and are water-proof. Just my two cents...
Old 12-10-2007, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

LaCrosse Alpha Burly are what I use. I have a couple pair of the "Sport Neoprene" non-insulated and one pair of 1500 gram. Both of these versions are extremely comfortable. The regular alphaburly's with the brown rubber toe are not as comfortable.If I know I am not going to be indeep water or none at all, then I have a couple pair of Rocky's that I wear. (insulated and not)
Old 12-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cant go wrong with Lacrosse!!!