Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Experienced Turkey Hunters ? >

Experienced Turkey Hunters ?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Experienced Turkey Hunters ?

Old 04-30-2007, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Experienced Turkey Hunters ?

Hello All,

I've been very fortunate to hunt turkeys with my cousin on some very amazing land in Tennessee. The areas he would take me were mostly pastures and hidden fields. Very nice land where turkeys are known to group.

This year things were different. I set out on my own here in Michigan and things didn't go as smoothly. There are no pastures, there were no fields. Just some areas that were lumbered and a bunch of brush. Trees are mostly pine but there are some smaller areas of oaks and poplars.

So here are some questions for you experienced turkey hunters:

1) Do you hunt in windy conditions?

2) Do you keep moving until you hear a gobble? Or do you sit and call?

3) How do you hunt the roost in the morning when you have a very bright moon? (ie what time do you get out there on a brightnight)

4) When hunting the evening is it best to shock gobble a rooster with a yelp or owl/crow/hawk call?

5) I know there are lots of turkeys in the area that I was hunting but in 4 days of hunting we only heard 4 or5 gobbles. Is it possible that the birds aren't hot yet?

6) I have a hen decoy and a jake decoy. The jake is has a very red and blue head with a long beard. Is it possible that this decoy would scare away smaller birds? Should I get a weaker looking jake? I'm not a trophy hunters. Just want some nice sized birds that aren't too tough.

I'm sure I have more questions after my first solo hunt but I can't think of many right now. I was wishing I had access to this site from the field on Saturday to get some advice.

Thanks

Tom
Old 04-30-2007, 09:19 AM

Default RE: Experienced Turkey Hunters ?

I do hunt windy conditions. Use a loud box call or mouth diaphram to get some distance.

Do I move or just start blind calling... Both. If I know turkey are in the area I will blind call and it has worked. I had prefer to find a gobbling tom and try working him in. Knowing he is there will inspire you to bestill and really put a best effort in to get him.

I prefer to get to the roost when it's still dark. IN a full moon situation, don't try to get as close. They will bust you easier.

I have found using some decoys out near the roosting site along with some feeding purrs and clucks works pretty well for me in the evenings.

When turkey hunting anything is possible... More likely it's starting to reverse. THe peak of the spring season is winding down. Turkey's may becoming less vocal. This can also be attirbuted to hunting pressure. (I personally think there is a news publication something like "Turkey talk" and they let all the turkey's in the area know hunting season is in, this would certainly explain a lot more...).

To jake or not to jake that is the question.... No perfect answer there. Some would say that it can indeed scare away smaller birds. I have watched a many a jake fight each other. I personally never use a jake. I feel it's more iffy than anything else. Some would also say that using a jake ticks off the ol tom...I feel I had rather take my chances with the former.

It's certainly a challenge to try and guess where they are going to go and what they will do. That is the hunt though...

Gotta love the hunt....
Old 04-30-2007, 11:03 AM

1: Yes i hunt when the conditons arew windy. I feel like any game animal is some what catious in the wind but i have notcied it doesnt bother turkeys as much as deer cause deer rely on hearing for about 33% of their "caution" senses, the other two 33%'s being smell and sight.
2: I close the gap when i hear a gobble until i figure i am near 100-150 yards away. i want to be close but not too close. if they are roosted i will be further depending on visibility and the ability to blend in.
3: the same as above. I approach slowly and keep my distance. amybe give a few tree clucks nad yelps but try to stay minimal. I want the tom top know whre i will be when he hits the ground.
4: none of them. I dont like to get a gobbler to gobble at night ont he roost due to the fact that i want to slip in and out quietly and not disturb them. second, if i did lose track of the roosting toms then i would use only and owl or coyote howl which is hear d generally at night. i have never heard a crow at night.
5: no. temperature, barometric pressure, cold/warm fronts, and other weather can affect their responses. I bet i have taken 45-50% of tmy birds w/o hearing a gobble.
6: anything is possible but genrally a bigger, more mature looking bird can scare of jakes and submissive toms. is would throw in2 more hens to offer up something to a tom around what he may think is a more dominant bird. let the bird figure things out and play on his actions.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the advice guys. I would have been good to have this past weekend.

I'm going to return the jake and pick up another hen.

Any idea why in Michigan the turkey tags are only good for one week? Is that the same in your areas?

Thanks again.

Tom
Old 04-30-2007, 12:33 PM

I am not certain why they break our season up into 3 different hunts. 1 week, 1 week, and 3 weeks, maybe its so we are not all out there at the same time tripping over each other. But thats just my hunch. As for your birds...find there roost with an owl call at sunrise or sunsetand concentrate your morning and evenings in this area. This past week after fly down I did not hear many gobbles at all and it took me all 7 days to get my MI bird. During the day I tried a lot of stalk and call and never got any gobbles. It is not near as fun when they are not talking back to you but I would definatley recommend sitting and calling until you get bored or your rump hurts then walk and call until you get ready to sit for a couple more hours. Every encounter I had this past week in Muskegon County after 9:00 was a silent bird.

Wind- just use louder calls.
Rain- fields or open patches in the woods where you cant hear the leaves on the ground being pelted on by the rain.
Mid day- sunny and hot (if it ever happens here) hunt dusting bowls.

What county are you hunting?

I got my 22.5 lb, 7 incher, 1 inch and 3/4 spurs on the 7 day of my hunt, so keep after them.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Jim,

That sounds like a nice bird. I took a small Jake. Not much for show but good for eating.

I was hunting in Grayling, Unit F.

I wonder if I should has signed up for the three week deal. Not sure on that one.

Thanks for the advice from all I really appreciate it. If there is more out there I'd love to hear it.

Tom
Old 04-30-2007, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

1) yes
2) i sit and call If they dont gobble then what do you do. I know that turkeys can hear me so I like to sit and wait.
3) I dont really give that much thought. I guess I would maybe not set up so close.
4)yesAs to what call that depends on the birds
5)More than likely they are with hens. Like most guys toms are always hot but if they have their girl friends with them they dont have any reason to look for anymore company
6) Yes jake dekes can and often will scare other subordinate toms and jakes. If your not looking for a big monster of the woods you may just want to keep the jake in the bag. However in the evening you might want to use it because I dont think they are as shy/scared in the evening and may come to join you.
Good luck!!!!!
Old 04-30-2007, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those green fields are nice aint they... You dont have any trouble seeing the birds huh... Big difference when there are just woodsIt's time to hunt turkeys instead of turkey shooting

Good luck
Old 04-30-2007, 06:43 PM

What he said. Also, get rid of the decoys. Hunt every chance you get, rain, wind, cold, whatever. If they're not gobbling move to an area they like to use during the day (you did your scouting, right?) and call SPARINGLY. Be ready to move/adjust at a moment's notice. Good luck.
ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

Those green fields are nice aint they... You dont have any trouble seeing the birds huh... Big difference when there are just woodsIt's time to hunt turkeys instead of turkey shooting

Good luck
Old 05-01-2007, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unfortunetly, I can't really scout. My hunting area is about 2.5hours from my house. So scouting is very expensive.

I agree with you that hunting turkey's in fields is a lot easier, from what I can tell, but I also find it more fun because for long distances you can see how the birds react to the different calls. I've seen birds move from 300 yards to 100 yards away and then back again. Then hit that right purr and they come running as though something was chasing them. Pretty cool to watch.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Tom