Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Experienced Hunters: What Should I do? >

Experienced Hunters: What Should I do?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Experienced Hunters: What Should I do?

Old 10-10-2005, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Experienced Hunters: What Should I do?

Ok, here is my dilema. I am hunting a spot that I have hunted for years and I know the deer movement pretty well. Now, I am hunting a stand that I took a 150+ 10 point out of last year on October 3rd. I have been in this stand twice this year and have seen 23 deer, 9 of which were in nice bow range. They logged some of the timber last year, and their is alot of tree tops and new browse left that the deer are not only feeding on, but using it to bed as well. I have watched 3 different bucks come up the same trail right up the middle of this mess, a basket rack 4 point, a six point I named cactus jack because his rack comes straight up and his points just poke out of the main beam like a cactus, and a nice 2 1/2 year old 8 poinr rhat I passed on. Now this is a natural doe travel corridor, and as the pre-rut kicks in, the bucks really start cruising it. I know that their are some nice shooters in there, and I'm hoping it is just a matter of time until they come cruising in. Their was a monster 8 point that was with my big one I killed last year which I passed on to get a chance at the bigger one. I am sure he is still there too. Now this property would benefit alot if some does were taken out. So my question is do you think I should go ahead and hunt it and try to take a good doe, or should I just stay out until signs of the pre-rut start showing and then sneak in there and hope for the best? I just don't want the deer getting wise to me, especially the big boys. It's hard to stay out when the deer are coming in, but hey, that's the sacrifice you sometimes have to make to kill a good one. Give me some feedback. Thanks, and good luck this season.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Experienced Hunters: What Should I do?

Even though you are seeing a lot of deer don't over preasure them. It's tempting to go there often but, rotate around to other hunting spots. As far as taking does out, wait until after the rut and drop what you want.

My friends and I wait til late season to start dropping other deer unless we're hunting in an area that isn't frequent by some big bucks. Then we shoot what ever we feel like.

Good luck
Old 10-10-2005, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Can you hunt nearby, but yet far enough away to whack some does? I've never felt shooting a doe itself would mess up an area, but I just don't know about tracking and dragging and all the commotion associated with getting a deer if that will spook a mature buck. I've always hunted my same areas buck or doe, but never shot a real big buck. I have been starting to try and have "doe areas" now so I don't mess up the really good spots. Don't know if its working or not, I'm still a little new at hunting older mature bucks.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

this is a problem??????.with all them deer stay put
Old 10-10-2005, 10:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would definitely not pressure it if you are hoping to take a big buck again from this location. Can you take a doe from another location relatively close by?
Old 10-10-2005, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

This sounds like my set up. I'm in a relatively small tract of woods that I'd consider to be a doe staging area as well as a travel corridor between bedding and feeding areas. I've seen big bucks in velvet in the immediate area, and watched a 150 class 10pt tend a doe (for 25 minutes within bow range behind a clump of bushes of course, never did give me a shot). So, I know they cruise does through there.

My plan is this: This area has a few scrape lines that recurr every year so I'm not going to take a doe until the stretch of season between post rut and late rut for fear of tainting the area. I'm going to hold out for a big buck in rut, hopefully. I am also going to pass hunting days that the wind is not in my favor. I used to hunt no matter what the wind just to be out, but I've gained a better understanding of travel patterns over the last couple of years in this spot. Don't pressure the area. Wait for the wind, wait for the buck, pass on the does until after rut. Just my opinion of course, I may be wrong.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

I went to another property that I hunt tonight to let my other spot rest a bit, and found what I was hoping for. I found a rub on a cedar tree that's as big as a electric pole, and I'm not kidding, it is as high as the top of my head, and I'm 6'1". Now the kicker is that this deer has been making rubs on this tree for the last 3 seasons. It's obvious it's a sign-scent post rub. I have been after this big son of a gun for 3 years, and I'm getting frustrated. This deer is almost entirely nocturnal. I am running out of idea's, and would like to get him because i know he has to be in his prime. I have a stand set up about 30 yard downwind of this tree, but I am just not seeing him when I hunt it. He is visiting at night, and I don't know how to get him to show his face during shooting light. This is one deer that does not become visible even during the rut. I have known of several good bucks to die of old age in this place, because it is some of the thickest, nastiest junk that you can imagine. We spend all early summer just chopping our way to stand sights as it grows up every year. If anyone has any ideas on how to get this smart old boy to show his face during daylight, then let me know. This place is only a quarter mile from my house, and we spotilight it often but never see him. He must come out way late in the night. This has been a war between him and me, and I sure would like to win. Good luck this season.

Old 10-10-2005, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

My only idea might be the ol'drip bag and a doe decoy.Might get them to come around during the day.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:36 PM

If the buck you're after isn't overly paranoid and isn't on the brink of going nocturnal, good ahead and take a doe. This weekend, i got to my spot to find a gut pile in the field 150 yards from the stand. i just said the heck with it and made the 20 foot climb. I wanted to shoot a doe, but one got downwind of me(in the place they weren't supposed to come from) and picked me off when i started lowering my bow down. must have caught the movement and pinpointed me. you should be fine whacking a doe or two. it's probably better to get your herd reduced in the long run anyway.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Dominant Buck

If I'm on a hot spot I don't like to stink it up. Hunt it as low impact as you can. Does can be killed other places and other times. Those big boys are not so easy. No way would I shoot a doe in a spot where it appears the bucks prefer.

Quick Reply: Experienced Hunters: What Should I do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.