Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are NEW hunters better than experienced ones? >

Are NEW hunters better than experienced ones?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are NEW hunters better than experienced ones?

Old 03-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Are NEW hunters better than experienced ones?

One thing i've noticed over the years, from talking with friends and other hunters, is that often times their biggest buck came from their first or 2nd year of hunting.... Of course this isn't always the case, but this got me thinking. Do new hunters sometime have an advantage over the hunters who have years of experience?

From my personal experience... sometimes I seem to over-analyze. In my earlier years of hunting I would look at a field, decide where to hang a stand (Knowing little why I chose the spot) and sure enough, if usually ended up being a great spot. Nowadays, there are times I hang a stand & later on in the hunt, think... now why did I hang it here and not in that obvious spot on the other corner of the field? I didn't know how to hunt with scent control, hunt the wind, or really any of the strategies I use nowadays. But remember always being on big bucks...

I have several close hunting friends... all which have harvested their BIGGEST bucks ever, in their first 1 or 2 years of ever deer hunting. What do you think, do experience hunters sometimes over-analyze things resulting in lower success?

I would love to know your thoughts.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:24 PM

Default RE: Are NEW hunters better than experienced ones?

I think luck generally plays a big role in someone getting a big deer their first or second season out.

Also throw in where the hunt, the food available to the animals, the local genetics, etc...

Seems to me most are luckier than they are skilled. Granted, this isn't necessarily always the case, but a 9 year old shooting a 180" deer his/her first season out isn't likely to be because they know a lot about the game they're pursuing.

I do agree that more experienced hunters may tend to over-analyze things though.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:31 PM

I know I over-analyze when hanging stands. It seems to take much longer than it should to find the 'perfect' spot. Heck, I've done it enough that it shouldn't take any time at all to pick a stand location, but it seems that there is always something that makes a setup from being 'perfect'.

Are you maybe wondering that with all the thought,gadgets, magazine articles, etc., that maybe guys with a few years under their belt go farther into strategizing than need be, and just hanging a stand anywhere on a trail and letting the cards fall as they may is enough to get the job done?.....just an after thought.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe that newer hunters are NOT better hunters IMO. These are the deer Ive shot in order. Spike, Doe, Doe, basket 6, 4, 8, 10, nub buck(antlerless season, doe. Now except for the anterless season I was looking to shoot a big buck however I admit I am pretty unlucky when it comes to deer hunting. I think a lot of the people that shoot there biggest deer in there first couple years are lucky. Personally I think its kinda too bad too, because its like they dont have much to look forward to if they shoot a monster. Thats half the reason I go out.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first season, first time bowhunting, opening day I arrowed a doe. I really had know idea what I was doing. I walked the woods a week before, found a spot where there were a lot of acorns and two trails leading into this area and set up a ground blind. I had know idea if a deer would walk this way but sure enough two did. I wasn't a experienced deer hunter by any means but I had somewhat of an idea what to look for. Nowadays I'm way to picky about spots to hang stands and if this will work or that will work. Just gotta relax, have a good time and hunt.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good post. I always have to remind myself "Keep it Simple, Stupid!!". I have a tendency to start over analyzing and playing the "What If?" game.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:22 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with Washington Hunter, I also think a skilled and experienced hunter will do better then a beginner, but luck jumps in and helps alot of the times, but on a level playing field I would go with experience..
Old 03-13-2007, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not believe they are better, but I know that a lot of older hunters arefond ofcertain areas that have always produced, in turn a lot of other places are over looked. I have been guilty of this a time or two myself.The younger hunters sometimefind those over looked areas. I settle on an area to hunt pretty easy but, I will spend a lot of time standing in one place trying to figure out which tree would be the best.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

I settle on an area to hunt pretty easy but, I will spend a lot of time standing in one place trying to figure out which tree would be the best.
OMG! I am glad I am not the only one. I think we do overanalyze many times, and sometimes we do pass up spots that would produce whereas a new hunter might think it looks great. This may go back to a thread by buckeye about hunting deer instead of sign. I shot my first pope and young class buck and my biggest just by stumbling into him back in '88.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

I believe luck and good fortune have a whole lot to do with it! And I KNOW I over-analyze everything! I sometimes wish I could go back to my younger days when all I was worried about was if I was going to even see a deer! Now I'm not saying I shot deer on every outing but I do expect to see at least some deer. Thats why I love taking my 5 year old out with me, cause then I don't worry about anything other than if he is enjoying himself!

Quick Reply: Are NEW hunters better than experienced ones?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.