Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Experienced rut hunters.....questions... >

Experienced rut hunters.....questions...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Experienced rut hunters.....questions...

Old 11-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Experienced rut hunters.....questions...

1. At what stage of the rut do the bucks start moving more during daylight hours? I STILL haven't seen a buck after 8:30AM. I know the time changed over the weekend....and today was the day I saw the buck at 8:30 ("old" 9:30).....but it's still not "late" AM movement.....let alone "daytime" maovement.

2. I've had a few instances where I've seen/heard bucks dogging does and grunting.....but nothing I would consider "chasing"....and hell "seeking's" gonna preceed that, right?

I'm just a little confused, here. I think it's close to being time. Others are saying it's "here". I just don't know. I've got this week and next week to hunt full time. I can sit all day every day.....but don't have the onclination if it's futile to do so this early. If I was seeing mre daytime buck movement....I'd sit longer.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Experienced rut hunters.....questions...

The week of the 17th in NC Jeff, Ill bet the house on it I am gonna make all day sits every full day I have on the week before the 17th the week of the 17th and the week after the 17th, I am still on the few hour sits this week though, ecspecially with the warm weather
Old 11-03-2008, 06:47 PM

You know Jeff I think the warmer temps are keeping some bucks at bay, but i seem remember most late morning sightings starting the second week of Nov to just after Thanksgiving around here. In fact, I would say from what I have seen over the years, the rut is peak the week of Thanksgiving here in Va. NC shouldn't be too much different.. just what i have seen though..
Old 11-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with you GMMAT...I see signs that it is here, signs of "hot Doe's"...but where did the 1st part go? Strange year so far.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:52 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm pretty sure I haven't seen a hot doe, yet. Makes sense oneshot. I start my new job on the 17th and all day sits are out of the question until Thanksgiving (and Saturdays). I can still ge tin some awesome morning sits (I'll be working out of my home)......and iamyourhuckleberry couldn't have timed his visit any better (he arrives here on the 19th). If I score before then....I'm gonna go out with him and film. Otherwise.....I'll sit with him some....and leave him be some. I hope he gets to see it really good, here.

So next week? All day-ers?
Old 11-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

In Michigan I call the "pre rut" right now. Oct 30 - Nov. 8'ish. Bucks are scraping and not yet tending the doe(s).

On Saturday I had2 non-shooter 8 pointers walk right to me acrossed a picked bean field. They were walking in single file and showed no sign of rut activity. However, I'm seeing alot of ground scrapes now. So with that being said, I think I'm in a "transition" phase where the bucks are starting the process.

Nov 10 - Dec. 1 - Full rut for me in Michigan. I can see bucks chasing and tending doe(s) all day. During this time I usually see bucks that will actually bed down with their doe to let all the other guys know that she has already been claimed.

Dec. 1st- Dec. 15 Post rut...On occasion I may seea few bucks trying to mount doe(s) in the open fields as they enter the bedding areas in the AM...same during the PM.

Good job on the doe(s) GMMAT
Old 11-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another blog excerpt

http://morethanapursuit.blogspot.com/

Since whitetails do not have the thinking and reasoning capacity of us humans, obviously, they need Mother Nature to tell them when it is time to breed. This is where the moon comes into play. Every year, generally around the last week of October and first week of November the first full moon after the Fall Equinox occurs, to deer hunters this is often referred to as the "rutting moon." The rutting moon and decreasing amount of light taken in through the deer’s eye triggers a sensory receptor in the brain, kind of like their aphrodisiac. As stated before this usually occurs in late October and early November, however this year the rutting moon is late and will fall on the night of November 13th. This will result in a more compact, frenzied rut.

We are also going to assume that fellow hunters know the rut can be generalized into three different phases: the seek phase, the chase and the breeding phase. Read on to see what skills and tactics we apply to hunting each phase and how we approach the big boys during this time.

Seek Phase: The seek phase is the first of the aforementioned three phases. Bucks testosterone levels are close to peaking or have peaked already. However, at this point of the game they are able to contain their sexual drive and the majority remains cool and collected. Bucks are now cruising and scanning the outskirts of doe travel routes, bedding and feeding areas checking each doe’s estrous level. A buck’s sense of smell is so well defined that he can actually pinpoint individual does and knows their age, social status and estrous status! Damin and I actually hunt this stage very patiently and cautiously. Remember, bucks are all still reserved animals at this point and, even though their daytime activity will increase, they will do the majority of their cruising during the fringe of dawn and dusk. I do very little to draw attention to myself during this phase. My calling will consist of several soft contact grunts right at sunrise and sundown. However, I will rattle during this time of year. I’m trying to simulate an intense fight between two bucks that have found an early estrous doe, attempting to tempt a mature buck in closer range. Hunting scrapes lines, albeit mock (we’ll explain mock scrapes in a later post) or natural will also increase your chances of harvesting a bruiser this time of year. Most ‘hot lines’ will stay hot for nearly two weeks if conditions are steady and little human pressure is applied. To summarize the seek phase Damin and I hunt very smart during this time. Bucks are becoming more susceptible to calling, scents and decoys yet are skittish and wary enough to pinpoint a fake deer or unnatural sound. Be patient though, primetime is just a week away!

Chase Phase: To quote Dickie V, “It’s primetime with a capital A!” Boy is it ever; the chase phase is by far my favorite time not only to hunt. Bucks are all jacked up on testosterone and are bouncing from doe group to group looking for an estrous doe. This is your best chance to tag a mature buck. This is your best chance to dupe Mr. Big as he has one thing and one thing only on his mind, estrous does. So, what are the best call, decoy and scent for hunting the chase phase? None of the above, that’s right, hunts the does. Big bucks are hunting does this time of year and, while it’s a simple concept, Damin and I are too. I have always said that the best lure for a mature buck is a mature doe. Damin and I hunt primary food sources this time of year as this is where we will have the best chance of seeing does. In fact, many times we hunt certain doe groups or families, as we know their tendencies and habits and know that eventually they will tempt in a big buck. Still, mature deer didn’t get old and big by being dumb. While it may seem that bucks are running around with no care in the world, this is actually not the case. Mature bucks use the knowledge they learned of their doe groups during the seek phase and apply this to their ‘hunting’, for does. Damin and I study, apply and utilize the topographical features of our property during this time. The scouting that took place during the shedding season allows us to hang stands in transition zones and funnels, hoping to catch a buck travel from doe bedding area to doe feeding area or vice versa. It is also during this time when we hunt the most aggressive. Hunting over buck decoys, mixed with aggressive rattling and calling work best during the chase phase. Combining estrous doe bleats with tending grunts works especially well now, as it simulates a buck tending a hot doe and this catching the attention of every buck in the vicinity. Quick summary: This is when deer hunting is at its best. We hunt hard, but smart at the same time. We are hunting doe concentrated areas, utilizing topographic features and become very aggressive with our calling because it is prime time baby!

Breeding phase: Sadly, the intensity of the chase phase is followed by a ‘dead zone’ known as the breeding phase. It is during this time that bucks are holed up with their does and the woods will be so quite and calm you’ll wonder if your deer herd has moved to the next zip code. The moon is almost full again, extreme hunter pressure has the deer as skittish as ever and exhausted bucks make this a slow time for deer hunting. It is actually during this time where Damin and I get a little R&R as well. Let me explain. As stated before the moon will almost be full again thus resulting in midday activity. It is wise and comforting to catch up on some sleep and hunt less during this time. Often we will hunt during the middle of the day. In fact, last year we had an encounter with The Dark Knight during a midday hunt, unfortunately no ethical shot presented itself. Again, rattling will work well as mature bucks will be the only deer to respond to the horns because they are the only bucks that have enough energy left to do so. Still hunting and stalking can be very productive if done correctly. It was actually during a still hunt when Damin and snuck up on the Dark Knight. Still, we play close attention to the wind, move only wind a strong wind blows and use the topographical features again to our advantage. Another tactic we use during this phase is capitalizing off other hunters. The breeding phase often coincides with the general firearms season and the Orange Army (the hills become covered with fur and fire hunters). Damin and I will often plan our hunts on the mistakes of other hunters by positioning ourselves on escape routes that we know the deer will use when bumped from another property. Quick summary: This can be a miserable time to hunt, however, through effective scouting Damin and I are familiar enough with our property and deer herd to get a bead on the pressure wary bucks.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

I think the rut is codependent on where youare sitting that day for this time of year. We are not seeing much chasing...more or less scent checking because one or 2 does have poped and got the boys thinking. Down the road a half mile our co-hunters have seen a big boy or 2 dogging does already...but we are still a week or so away fromthe full blown thing. I took the rest of this week off and most of the next month off for this reason. I think he has gotten to smell a little estrous by now and wants to come to my can since the real thing is still few and far between. With the warm temps I wait for a good wind and snuggle up to a bedding area and try to call him out. Worked in the past and hopefully it will work in the next few days as well. Sorry for the rambling...but I get excited when speaking of the pre rut/rut...greatest thing in the world...well tied with a tom sounding off on a cold March morning.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

They'll move anytime, but in alot of places its warmed up. It'llpush the rut movement back till it gets colder again.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:01 PM

Yes Jeff, next week all dayers will be perfect if the weather is colder. I was going to take off tomorrow and sit all day, but the temps are too high and rain is on the way, so I opted to save it for another day. This morning wasn't that great for seeing movement and it was warmer than usual, so I know tomorrow is going to be more of the same. I may take next Fri off and do it.

Quick Reply: Experienced rut hunters.....questions...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.