Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Late afternoon hunting....... >

Late afternoon hunting.......

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Late afternoon hunting.......

Old 04-16-2007, 06:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Late afternoon hunting.......

With turkey season "in", now.....I still have to work!!...lol

What's the chances of getting one to come in.......late in the evening.....and what's a good strategy? I know where they're roosting.....but I'm afraid to go in there at a late hour (5:30) for fear I might muck up a future spot.

Any help?

Should I just stay awayfrom their known roosting spot and try some other areas......maybe get a lone bird out on the prowl?
Old 04-16-2007, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Late afternoon hunting.......

Some of my best hunting has occured after 4:00 p.m. I killed one of my birds this year at 5:20. You can bump birds anytime you enter the woods during the day. I wouldn't try setting up under the roost just yet. You may be able to call in a love sick gobbler before he goes to roost. You may want to set up a couple hundred yards off the roost. That way if the bird doesn't come by you on his way to roost you can slip out without spooking him.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

Some of my best hunting has occured after 4:00 p.m. I killed one of my birds this year at 5:20. You can bump birds anytime you enter the woods during the day. I wouldn't try setting up under the roost just yet. You may be able to call in a love sick gobbler before he goes to roost. You may want to set up a couple hundred yards off the roost. That way if the bird doesn't come by you on his way to roost you can slip out without spooking him.
Agreed. I know where a few of these turkeys have been roosting and where they are in the middle of the day. I go in and setup about 4 or 5 pm and I have had no trouble getting one to come within 30 yards of me. Called three in two weeks ago and called another one in yesterday. I figure if they they hear a "hen" the direction they are roosting, why not get going to the roost a little faster? Best of luck.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know where you are from, but I am from KS, and my brother got one yesterday at 5:30pm. Here in KS, the sun isn't setting until about 8:00pm right now, sowe can hunt until 8:30 (30 minutes after sundown) so 5:30 was just about the prime time.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:33 PM
neb
Typical Buck

You can get a bird very easy in the afternoon. When they are looking for a hen they will come in. I have had better luck in the afternoon then any other time. Some ststes close hunting in the afternoon and it is for a reason the one reason is they are easy to get if you are in the right spot.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:40 AM

i locate them where they are feeding and then try and ambush them