Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Temperature Ranges?

Old 11-14-2004, 05:15 PM

Default Temperature Ranges?

Hi everyone.

Well, the temperature where I live (outside of Toronto, Canada) is starting to get a bit brisk. I'm shooting a Chek-Mate TD Hunter, and I'm wondering if there is any lower temperature limit below which I should not shoot my bow. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance...
Old 11-14-2004, 10:26 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Temperature Ranges?

I know of folks in Saskatchewan and Alaska that have shot them in extremely cold temps. I asked the same question on a different board not too long ago, and a fellow from Alaska commented on shooting his bow at 25 below, another (from Canada) talked of shooting at 40 below. I can't imagine even being outside at 40 below, and I would be leery of shooting a bow at that temperature--it would seem that anything that cold could shatter.

Chad
Old 11-17-2004, 01:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've chased rabbits and moose at -40+ and had no issues. Have chased predators pushing the -50 mark for an evening, I'll leave it at we didnt sit long and all of our calls froze LOL!

One thing we've found out though. DO NOT let your bow sit in your vehicle all day in extreme cold weather, then shoot it, then bring it in the house at nite. A friend of mine was doing this, taking it to work, letting it sit outside for the day, shooting after work, then going home and putting it up in his garage, all winter long (he shoots almost every day). Every bow he has done this too has cracked in the finish. Its mainly cosmetics but realize it WILL crack if you do this.

We've had no problems leaving our bows out in extreme cold weather for hunt durations, anwywhere from a day or two to a couple hunts a little over a week in length. But realize prolonged repeatedness (great word eh) to the complete freeze, shoot, then hot temps day in and day out all winter will jack the finish up!
Old 11-26-2004, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

When in Idaho, I shot daily in temps ranging from sub freezing to below zero with no problems. I warmed the wood up by giving it a few shortened tugs before bringing it to full draw. Don't know if it was necessary or not, but felt like the right thing to do at the time.