Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Asking for permission

Old 03-26-2007, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default Asking for permission

How do you guys ask for permission do you come right out and ask them or do you kind of sweet talk them? Any advice would be helpful. What do you guys where when asking for permission do you wear camo or do you avoid it?
Old 03-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Asking for permission

When I ask for permission to hunt on someones land, I do two things right off the bat. I usually try to get permission to hunt areas that are bordering one another, so every once in a while I see the land owner taking a walk on their property. I am usually dressed in full camo just because I am either walking in or walking out of the woods from hunting (On the properties I do have permission to be on). The first thing I do is adress them by either Sir or Ma'am. This is a very important step in gaining their trust (as long as you dont mistake the ma'am or sir and call them by the wrong gender). Then just strike up a conversation and ask them nicely. I guess you could call it sweet talkin, but if you just learn to show respect to them, they will usually allow you on their property. USUALLY. Sometimes there is just no compromising withpeople. I also will take a garbage bag out and pick up trash that I find while Im on their property. Just all the little things like that.

Theres nothing that works better then just showing respect to them and their land.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

i also find this kinda hard to do i get nervous lol
Old 03-26-2007, 09:45 PM

Try a different approach. Maybe run an ad in the local paper? I think the best thing to do is establish a relationship with the landowner and give something back in exchange for use of their land. Put yourself in their place. What would you do if you owned property and some stranger, of which you have no clue about and what their history is, comes to your door asking if they can walk around your property with a weapon? It's not like turkey are going to eat up their crops so you have to think of some other incentive. Either that or you will probably have to just lease land to hunt on or join a hunting organization which does the same for its members.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

If you know who it is that you are wanting to talk to and you happen to see them on the town, offer to buy them lunch or pie and coffee, soda, etc. while you discuss your proposition. Possibly you may have to offer some sort of payment. If you show good sportsmanship and ethics, ie. not trashing their land, pick up trash you see while you are out there, etc.. Payment does not have to be cash. Maybe they need help working cattle or some other sort of farm work. Making the offer to help goes a long way, and you may never have to actually do it. Be prepared to help if asked though. You never know you may just find a place that you can hunt for life, even for deer season.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:57 AM
Typical Buck

Here's a post I made on my forum about asking permission. I hope you can find it helpfull

I agree with all the replies except for the "limit the small talk". Sorry soccerref but I feel the more they know about you weather it's small talk or personal, the better off you are. I've stopped and asked people that I can just tell they're not going to let me hunt but still got it because I found something we both had in common. Starting talking about their dog, their garden! anything but hunting. Now if they're short with you and you can see they don't want to small talk then I agree with you. I feel I've gained more permission to hunt with small talk than just going up to the landowner and getting straight to the point. Remember, you're asking them to allow you to walk around their property with a gun! That scares a lot of people so again, the more they know about you and can relate to you, the better off you are.
Being able to read the person is the biggest part of the game of getting permission beside being polite I to like to take along this form I made out in trying to get permission and it works like a charm! Another thing you might want to keep in mind if you feel they're leaning towards saying no is limit what you want to do. Again, I've come across people that tell me, "well, we don't like the idea of guns in our woods because we walk around a lot". That's when I tell them I'm only looking to bow hunt and then explain my shooting zone with a bow. I'll end up getting permission to bow hunt only on the property which is fine. I'm now at least in the door and have plenty of time down the road to build a hunter / landowner relationship. I've done this three times here in NH and I now have permission on all three pieces of property to bow and gun hunt! If you get permission to hunt! stop in from time to time in the off season to say hello or just to small talk with the landowners. Keeping that hunter / landowner relationship going even in the off season will go a long ways
If you're having a hard time getting in touch with the landowner never ask for permission to hunt over the phone! It too darn easy for them to say no! if they don't see you in person.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:00 AM
Typical Buck

Here's the second post I made on the subject.

Hey guys! Sorry but I forgot to send the Hunter's Code of Ethics that I print on the back of the form. I take them to Kinkos where you can copy front and back on to one form. Making copies will also keep my originals ink from running if they should get wet.
I put the HCE on the top half of the form so the landowners has it with their half of the form they keep.

“HUNTER’S CODE of ETHICS”

1) I will consider myself an invited guest of the landowner, seeking their permission, and so conducting myself that I may be welcome in the future.
2) I will respect the landowner’s property and livestock and will address any special concerns or requests from the landowner.
3) I will obey the rules of safe gun/bow handling and will courteously but firmly insist that others who hunt with me do the same.
4) I will obey all game laws and regulations, and will insist any companions do likewise.
5) I will do my best to acquire those marksmanship and hunting skills which assure clean harvesting of any animal.
6) I will support conservation efforts which assure good hunting for future generations of Americans.
7) I will pass along to younger hunters the attitudes and skills essential to a true outdoor sportsman.

Thank you!