Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I had permission or did I? >

I had permission or did I?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I had permission or did I?

Old 12-14-2006, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I had permission or did I?

I'm really upset. If you read my earlier post I had gotten permssion on some prime hunting land in WI. I hunted it 3 times. First time saw a big buck.3 days later had a stand perched over his travel route to his feeding area. While I was getting my stuff put away at my truck after last nights hunt. The owner came out and said he changed his mind and wasn't comfortable with me hunting on his farm. He said if something happened he would be liable. I could't argue. It's his land and he was a nice guy. I wished him happy holidays and left really upset. So this morning is going to be spent pulling stands I just put up.

So, I'm wondering if this happens alot, or has it happened to you?
Old 12-14-2006, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I had permission or did I?

Why not sign a release form??
Old 12-14-2006, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't think of that but I don't think it will matter. He's a rev. so I don't want to push the issue. I guess I should be happy to have seen the biggest buck while bwhunting. I'm headed to northern WI for some bowhunting maybe I'll get something up there and I won't need to hunt this farm anyways.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Closest Ive come to that situation was two years ago.I got permission from the farmer who leases the land to hunt a small corner connected to a wildlife refuge, it was the best spot I ever hunted, every deer in the refuge would come out and feed in this field till dark before scattering out to the surrounding fields.

One day the guy that the farmer leased it from came out and posted a note on my treepolitely asking me to pull my stand and not hunt thier anymore.Kinda caught me by suprise, the farmer actuallyhad the hunting rights with the land and could let me in if he wanted, but I just packed it in and got out of thier without causing a scene, the farmer didnt need the headaches and he has a couple thousand acres of other ground I can hunt.Turned out the landowner was moving back to the farm and just liked to watch the deer.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:47 AM

Check with your DFW. In Massachusetts we have expressly written laws stating that (outside of malicioius intent) landowners are NOT liable for hunting accidents or injury to hunters on their property.

I'm willing to bet you have a similar law in your state. Get a print out and bring it to him.

Of course, that may not be the real reason. It's probably just his wife giving him a hard time and he had to come up with an excuse.[&o]
Old 12-14-2006, 07:52 AM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Send me your e-mail address and I will try and send you a copy of a release form that I have used for many years.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear that. Here is a little info on liability and how VA handles it. Maybe it can give you some ideas.
KP

http://www.dgif.state.va.us/hunting/regulations/privateproperty.asp#Liability
Old 12-14-2006, 11:28 AM

If u get back on that land, or even not, try giving him some of your harvest. He might appreciate some steaks, sausage, etc. Maybe have a change of heart. If not, u did something nice for him.I recently acquired 80 acres to hunton form afriend's mother. Iwill be giving her an assortment of venisoncuts in vacuum paks.My friend statedthat she would appreciate it.A buddy of mine wrote a letter requesting permission to hunt land from several landowners. He basically introduced himself, was willing to exchange some menial work for rights. Out of 20 letters he got 5 replies. Now he has 20 acres all to himself. One landowner's wife was very impressed w/ the way he wrote the letter. U never know if u don't try. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Exaclty there are release forms you can print off that you both woudl sign holding only you responsible if anythign shall happen to you or his properties.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Several years ago I got permission to hunt some very prime land here in Maryland. A week later, when the owner saw my truck parked on the land, he called the NRP. This was in the days before anyone thought of getting written permission so the officer and I went to the landowners house to clear things up. The owner denied ever seeing me before and said he would press charges. About this time his wife comes into the room and asked me how the hunting was going. Turns out he had Alzheimers and just didn't remember that he had given me permission. Anyway, I stopped hunting there because his wife thought "it might be best". At least back in those days I had lots of other farms to hunt before the developers moved in and bought everything up.

Quick Reply: I had permission or did I?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.