Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Patterning a new gun

Old 02-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Patterning a new gun

I have a new gun, new ammo, new choke, turkey targets and a free weekend coming up. I need to go and pattern this gun and see what it is capable of doing, but patterning a turkey gun is a little new to me. What height should I put the targets? Should I start out shooting at 30 yards and go from there? I was also thinking about trying to put some quail load six shot in at first and get the gun pretty much shooting center and then switch to the turkey loads. I was going to do this to try to get the gun hitting bulls-eye with cheaper ammo before using the more expensive stuff. What is everyones thoughts on this? I am aware that the loads will shoot different...I just thought this would save a few rounds of the Hevi-shot 13's. Any other thoughts / comments / recommendations for patterning a new gun?
Old 02-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Patterning a new gun

Order or print copies of this one Gunnersden.com/Free Turkey Target

Place in center of a 30" Circle and Start @ 40yds, moving in 5yds at a time! This will give you an idea if you need a better Choke. Assuming thatyou aretrying different brands and different loads.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

There would be no reason for you to start with different shells other than turkey loads unless you had a scope that had to sighted in. I would start at 20 yards and go back 10 yards everytime, until you get to the point where you don't have enough bb's in the kill zone.
Set up your target the same way you would set up for sighting in a rifle or shotgun. Have your gun on a rest so you can truly see where the gun hits.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

20 yards is a good starter point. I would try as many loads as possible. Every gun shoot a bit different. When you find a load, choke combo that works for you, move back. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

put the target at whatever height you can...i put them at a turkeys height usually...just always did. with a new gun id start at 20-25. starting with light loads wont hurt...but like it was said unless you have adjustable sights or a scope it really isnt gunna matter because your turkey loads will shoot way diffrent usually. i goto "turkey shoots" and they shoot light light loads there at 20yds or so. closest BB to the dot wins the prize for that round. my turkey loads will rip that target in half at 20yds. light light loads just dont pattern well..im sure they are reloads and only have a little bit of shot..im convinced of that..but i guess it wouldnt hurt to try a few and see how they shoot if you got some laying around. then i would move back from 20 to 30. then 35, 40, 45 etc till you no longer get a killing pattern. you can get free printed turkey targets but i dont care for them. i like life sized ones and staple them to a pallet i use as my target frame. when patterning a new gun or load or choke ill staple news paper over the whole pallet just to see if the bulk of the shot missed the turkey or what..pain in the butt...but i do it just to see whats going on. if the gun is really brand new i might even run a box of light loads through it...clean it..then pattern turkey loads. i just like to shoot my guns and get familiar with them though. id also try to get a buddy or a couple buddys to go in and buy a bunch of diffrent turkey loads then you all split them up so you all get to try DIFFRENT loads. very seldom do you get a good patterning gun from the first load and choke combo you try. exspecially factory chokes. my gun came with a factory turkey choke and it just didnt compare to an after market choke tube. best money i ever spent was on heavy shot and a after market tube. if getting with buddys isnt an option try what you have..then maybe here and there pick up a 5 or 10 shell box and try them out..turkey loads can be pretty pricey..i like to stockpile them after the season when its all on sale then pattern the next year and see what i like...till i went to heavy shot atleast..good luck...
Old 02-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everybody pretty much covered it... The only thing I might add is. For your first turkey loads you try, I would get Win HV #5'sThey are prob the best copperplated turkey loads on the market bar none!!!
Old 02-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have open sights this gun. However, the sights are adjustable both vertically and horizontally. The reason I was wanting to use a cheaper quail load is to verify that the sights are somewhat in place. The gun is brand new from the store...never been fired, therefore I don't know if the sights are somewhat on or not. Thanks for the already posted comments....I appreciate them greatly!!!
Old 02-06-2007, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

yea, its nice to practice at hunting height but you should pattern the gun with a dead steady rest then try your hunting stool or sitting position. good luck with the new gun.