Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Turkey Hunting On Windy Days? >

Turkey Hunting On Windy Days?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Hunting On Windy Days?

Old 02-04-2007, 06:41 AM
Typical Buck

Default Turkey Hunting On Windy Days?

Okay, so here's a little something that I've heard two sides to.

We went out yesterday to pattern my shotgun with 3" shells and it was a bit windy (okay, about a 25 mile per hour crosswind). The gun was patterning horribly at 30'ish yards. At first we thought that it may have been just the shells (moving down from 3 and half inch to 3 inch). So, we loaded up some 3 and a half and got the same result.

I can understand some drop off, but it was horrible. Now, with me being still extremely new to hunting in general, should there be that much drop off when windy? If so, do you still hunt on really windy days? With no wind, my gun patterns like a dream. Yesterday was making me second guess it.

Sorry for the stupid question, but I have to know before potentially wasting my time on a windy day. Thanks.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkey Hunting On Windy Days?

Wind will generally move your pattern. I'm guessing your pattern didn't fall apart, it blew left/right and a large portion missed the target. If you try it again, try holding 6" or so into the wind.
And, frankly, turkey hunting usually sucks on a windy day anyway. But your pattern shouldn't be thedeciding factor on whether or not you go out.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah, I will probably still venture out into the wind regardless. Time off from work is time off from work! I will try holding it about 6" off though. Thanks for the tip!

Old 02-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

yes, wind will greatly affect your point of impact but it also affects how the birds hear you and how they respond. in my experiences the birds come racing in on the windy days because the missjuged where i was at . they didnt make it back to warn the others to be carefull on windy days either.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

Dixon,

Wind, especially 35mph as you mentioned will make a difference in your pattern but it will/should just blow in the direction of the wind.

As for hunting on a Windy day...............well lots have been said about it, good bad, indifferent but you ABSOLUTELY hit the nail on the head for us mortals that have to work and can only go when we have time to go.

My Motto, tried and true, and I'll defend it to death - Hunting on a blowing windy day beats sitting at the desk at work hands down!

Hunting in the wind is certainly not optimal but you can't kill one sitting in the camp or truck waiting for the wind to die down.

You gotta hunt em to get em!

Amen?