Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 hunting real windy days >

hunting real windy days

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting real windy days

Old 11-03-2005, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default hunting real windy days

i have talked to my buddies about this and they have had pretty good luck on days where the wind is just blowing like crazy. I have seen one deer ever in real windy conditions and it was running for its life. Just wondering if you guys have had any luck with the windy blowing hard.And what do you hunt if it is. You like hunting thick cover or edge of fields.Any feedback be great.

Good Hunting

Old 11-03-2005, 08:51 AM

Default RE: hunting real windy days

Wind Blows! No pun intended.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

We're supposed to have gusts up to 30 mph today, and I'll be staying home for the first time in about seven days -- if that tells you anything. Of course, the temps are supposed to hit about 78, so that's not helping either.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:47 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I think a lot of it depends on where you live. In western SD where I moved from a 20mph wind was a normal day, 30-35 was considered breezy. It didn't affect the deer movement at all because that is what they are accustomed to. In SE Nebraska, where I grew up, if the wind got into the 20's the deer didn't move a whole lot during daylight hours.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:48 AM

I was hunting one day when it was so windy I almost fell out of the stand. Saw on of the biggest bucks I have ever seen skirting the edge of the trees on the less windy side. The problem was trying to draw and hold onto the tree at the same time. Didn't get the shot. Give it a try, that was during the pre-rut...
Old 11-03-2005, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had pretty descent luck hunting in the wind. I guess I have always followed the rule: 'Even when the wheather is $hitty, the deer can't go inside, so you my-as-well go out and chase them'Wind does suck though.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:03 AM

Me and my buddy were hunting yesterday with the wind blowing crazy... i saw three deer and he saw 9 and shot a big doe. She weighed around 150 dressed or more...HUGE. so i guess it might work if you are in the right area
Old 11-03-2005, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

I've hunted windy days were I almost got sick from swaying back and forthin my climber. When it gets to be that windy, I would rather spot n' stalk than sit up in a tree.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had good luck seeing a lot of bucks on real windy days in the rut. I think the does are less active so the bucks are on the move in order to find them. One thing for sure you have a much less chance at a buck setting home watching TV.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:56 PM

early season you tend tosee deer in the wind, most are skiddish , but after a little preasure i believe they tend to stay in the thick stuff

Quick Reply: hunting real windy days

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.