Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer hunting on windy days?

Old 09-09-2002, 08:37 PM

Default Deer hunting on windy days?

I've never had alot of success hunting on windy days later in the season. The deer get really spooky. They don't like all the movement in the woods.

What's everybodys experiance though during the early Bow season? Im planning an afternoon hunt on Wed and its suppose to be really windy. I was thinking since the deer havent been pressured too bad yet, the wind might not be a factor. Opinions.....

Any day spent huntin, is better than any day spent workin,,

Duckmastor2
Old 09-09-2002, 09:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer hunting on windy days?

You said it, wind isn't the best for deer activity. Deer have problems picking up scent & where danger is coming from when it is really windy, thus on edge and spooky. If possible hunt back in the confines of the woods and avoid the open fields, etc. If you can find a bowl meadow in the bush, deer will browse and feed the edges.

I still hunt, B/C you can't always hunt when the weather is perfect and any day hunting is worth it!

Old 09-09-2002, 09:09 PM

I never had any luck hunting in a strong wind.
I eventually came to the conclusion that the day could be salvaged by using it to scout.
I do recall a time when 3 does,who were panicked by the wind,ran straight at me.They would have run me down if I did'nt shout and wave them away.Even so,one of them passed within a foot of me.Obviously,if I was into shooting does,I would have an easy chance.
Frank
Old 09-09-2002, 10:46 PM

hummm i actually have had some good days on windy days. if the wind is steady out of a particular direction.

SOUTH ARKANSAS REBEL
Old 09-09-2002, 10:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Windy days are tough hunting.It basically knocks two of the deer's senses out-smell and hearing.On these kind of days,I'll move down into the hollows and more sheltered areas.Deer still have to move and feed on windy days but they'll take routes that are better suited to use their senses.Stick it out and be out there every chance you get-you don't kill them sitting at home.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last week when I was scouting in my ole stompin grounds at 3:00 pm and the wind was whipping up strong gust from time to time and I used this to my advantage and saw a 4x4 and then right in front of it I saw a 5x5 130" class, as they were feeding on the clover in the revene bottom. My girlfriend has her stand in there this week Bowhunting. She saw the damn this again this morning and couldn't get a shot off. Good Luck, Bobby
Old 09-10-2002, 05:34 AM
AK

Ahhhh...my favorite stillhunting weather! Throw in a light mist and I'm in hunting heaven. Sneaking through cornfields, slinking through wooded hollows, slipping through woodlots...I love it!

I've had my share of successes and close calls when stillhunting in the wind. Morning dew and a light breeze was all it took for me to sneak within 7 yards of a doe bedded up against a button bush on last season's opener. Then there was the time I arrowed one while sneaking along the edge of a cornfield. And once...well, you get the idea.

Ditch the stand, the belt, the pack, and peripheries. Grab you bow, quiver full of arrows, and some soft soled hunting boots and hit the ground runn...errrr...moving very slowly. Two things that may help your hunt are binocs (for scanning the shadows of close thickets, 10-50yds...is that dark spot in there a deer or a log?), and a pair of hand snips to clear your path of rose thorns as you slip along. Go for it and have yourself a ball!

Old 09-10-2002, 06:19 AM

Here Here AK!!!!
Too many hunters these days are getting so set in their ways of sitting in a tree for 3 hours, get down go get something to eat, relax chew the fat and come back 2 hours before dark.
They miss hours of quality stalking/still hunting that makes you a better woodsman and also helps locate those future honeyholes!
i can't wait!

Greg

"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!
Old 09-10-2002, 09:28 AM

Wind makes Hunting tough for alot of reasons. A deer lives through its sense of smell just as we live through our sense of sight. I believe that once the human scent is processed by a deer then they live with that as a danger warning forever. Your sense of hearing is also impaired on windy days - how many times have you caught a deer moving by sound alone. Also hearing deer vocals helps also and having them hear your mock deer vocals helps. Nonetheless get out there and give it a whirl in the wind. Keep the wind in mind when setting up or stalking. Maybe you can try a scent lock suit to diminish your smell. I use them and have had great luck - remember your rubber boots, there probably your greatest help in getting there unnoticed.
Old 09-10-2002, 12:02 PM

What JimPic says. The last time a new bowhunter asked me that question, I replied: You stand a better chance of getting one in the woods than you do your couch. He arrowed a small buck that evening.

Quick Reply: Deer hunting on windy days?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.