Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

split diaphram call

Old 02-01-2007, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default split diaphram call

I just boughtsome new Knight and Hale calls and I'm new to using them. I know this is a stupid question but. How do I tell what side goes down? Does the cut reed (which is longer) go on top? Or since it's cut does it go on bottom? I know it's a stupid question but.... Still thanks for the help.

BP
Old 02-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: split diaphram call

It really doesn't matter , if you try the spilt side up you'll get a better sound , ether way you should be able to use it.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

longer reeds go on top (if I remember correctly) and the shorter reeds go down. If you think about it...if you put the short reed on top, then when the call is in your mouth and you have a good seal around the call, the long reed is the only reed that will really get any air flowing over it...

Someone correct me if I am wrong...but I think this is correct. I always use the primos diaphrams and there is a little notch cut out of the tape on one side of the call. That cut side goes in the right side of your mouth. Not all diaphrams all the same though! When I do this, the smaller reeds are down...
Old 02-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are a couple ways to tell. First off, yes the longest reed goes up, or to the top of your mouth. Also, most calls have a nub or button on the center of the frame on one side. This button should go down to your tongue. Hope this helps.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

What jepcho and r33h said, longer reeds on top, shorter closer to the tongue.