Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Purr on a Diaphram call - HELP >

Purr on a Diaphram call - HELP

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Purr on a Diaphram call - HELP

Old 02-01-2007, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Purr on a Diaphram call - HELP

This is supposed to be rediculously easy from what I understand. But I simply cannot do it. I can make any other turkey vocalization on a diaphram call, but purrs and fighting purrs elude me.

So, I need some more drawn out help. Let me give you my back-ground.

I learned to call birds with a diaphram, and since I hunt by myself a lot, I prefer them because it cuts down on movement. I have been turkey hunting my whole life, and killed my 30th bird this past spring. I also duck and goose hunt, and think of myself as more than competent with either...no pro...but no slouch either. Anyhow, I am comfortable with making lots of different sounds through lots of different calls.

So, when the instructions suggest fluttering your lips...its this like a wet fart sort of lip flutter? How far forward does the call need to be? Tounge position? And the vocal chords need to flutter as if gurgling....thats not quite like the hum I put into my single reed duck calls?

Any and all help is great appreciated. When I was having trouble learning the gobble (which is just used for showing off really), I threw up a similar thread on another forum and I had it down in less than an hour. Let me know what you do that works!

Thanks much....6 Weeks til the first seasons start opening!
Old 02-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Purr on a Diaphram call - HELP

Try to gargel with the diaphram in your mouth or you could flutter your lips as you put pressure on your diaphram with your tounge..
Old 02-01-2007, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have a solution for you, but this is the one call that I have troubles with too. I can do a purr on other calls, but not with a diaphram...
Old 02-01-2007, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can barely make a sound resembling a purr on a diaphragm call, but I can somewhat do it. To try to describe how I do it would probably seem a little interesting if taken out of context, but vibrating your lips and tongue control has a lot to do with it. Hey, where was that thread about how to get your girlfriend to hunt turkeys? I think I might have a solution...
Old 02-01-2007, 09:07 AM

i flatten mymouth a little, lower the roof. use enough air and flutter the lips as stated. lips jutt forward a little. it took me about three years of practice too...
Old 02-01-2007, 09:15 AM

I'm not great at it, by no means, but I've found that loose lips is the key. As for the tongue part, it's kinda like rolling your R's if you're speaking spanish or something. Good luck. Keep at it, and you'll get it.
-- B
Old 02-01-2007, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can roll my R's like a champ...but I can't seem to do it with the call in. As for gurguling...heck...all I got was a groan.

I can make some sort of purrrriipppp sound by fluttering my lips...but its very very inconsistant. Must be a better way to do business......
Old 02-01-2007, 01:00 PM

i used to do the lip thing, but i began to practice gurgling water. put the call in your mouth normal. however your call is positioned when doing your yelp, position the call for the purr the same way, then practice vibrating your throte, like you are trying to sound like a car engine. not with your lips! with your throte. now do the same thing with the call in your mouth. let the diaphram be loose when doing this and you will get a smooth, nice, peaceful purr that will make a gobbler go nuts! i don't like to flutter my lips any more becuasemy face mask will get soaked with slobber and becuase the gobblers can see the movement of your lip through your face mask. it took me probably a total of 10 hours of practice to get it down throughout the month. just remember, practice and you will get it.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Purring with a mouth call is the second hardest call to master (second to the gobble).

For me to purr it out real sexylike, I've gotta trim the tape back on the call to keep from gagging. After you get it cut down (don't cut too much off - do a 1/16" at a time)then slip it extra-far back on your tongue and try to roll it out.

Instead of doing the R-R-R-R-R sound, (and I'm doing it with no call in my mouth right now), do a Whd-d-d-d-dsound. You'll have to sorta cup the back of your tongue, because the rolling "R" sound pushes the call too hard into the roof of your mouth.

Of course, you can always go Ghetto-Style and just spit out the purr by babbling your lips, like that dunebuggy on Scooby Doo (the one with eyeball headlights). It sounds and looks a little stupid, but if you're hunting turkeys that aren't real smart, they'll come to it.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:18 PM

ORIGINAL: nigol
i don't like to flutter my lips any more becuasemy face mask will get soaked with slobber...
Now that's funny!

Quick Reply: Purr on a Diaphram call - HELP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.