Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Diaphram call help.

Old 09-22-2006, 06:43 PM

Default Diaphram call help.

I have no tv at my place so i thought what a great opportunity and time killer it would be to learn how to use a diaphram call. i bought a mellow yellow mama made by Bugling bull game call co and I cannot figure out how to use the god damn thing. I have tried for days now and cannot get even a noise. What advice can you guys give me?
Old 09-22-2006, 11:29 PM

Default RE: Diaphram call help.

The flat part with the membrane faces forward. Put the call above your tongue with the raised part up. Towards your palette. Call should be forward in the mouth so that when it is sitting there, the end of your tongue touches the end of the membrane. Light puffs of air from your diaphram (not the mouth) should be used. Vary the tongue pressure on the "reed" to change pitch. Start with little or no tongue pressure and experiment by increasing and decreasing pressure.
Try not to swollow or gag. That's why I don't use a diaphram.
Looks like it is used for cow/calf sounds, so you may not get a satisfactory bugle with it.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:09 AM

Thanks alot game i am starting to get something out of it. I have till next aug to perfect it so lots of time for practice. Ya its a cow call i felt this would probably be an easier call to learn with, once i get the hang of it i may try a few bull reeds
Old 09-23-2006, 07:28 AM

Great! Also, it doesn't take a lot of air. Overblowing might be the most common wrong commited by newbies. It's not a sax. The whole idea behind the shape is to fit in the roof of the mouth to create an air tight seal so the air that is moving is directed accross the membrane.
You'll be fine by next August!
Old 09-25-2006, 10:58 AM
Typical Buck

I don't know anything about that call, but it is often easier to start out on a very basic, single reed call....then mess with the double and triple reed ones. I only ever use a single reed call myself and do alot more cow calling with it than bugling. Try moving it backward and forward in your mouth to find the spot that works for you. Some work better a bit further back (not enough to gag you!) and some work better snugged forward as far as your teeth will allow. Try applying upward pressure with your tongue and release the pressure as you force the air through. Once you figure out how to make noise with it, you'll quickly figure out how to vary the sounds to get what you want.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't bugled with it yet, but they are not much different than turkey calls. The MAJOR problem I had getting a turkey call to work was the fit in my mouth. For some reason I have a very narrow pallet, I either have to cut them down, or even better, I use youth/junior models, they seem to fit much better. When you put it up there it should pretty much stay on its own, if it doesn't it probably isn't fitting right, if the call is curving down the sides of your teeth (like mine was), then it is to wide.

Once you can consistently get it to make noise, any noise, then you can change tongue pressure and air volume to figure it out.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tongue and air pressure are a big part of the equation but so is fit if you find yourself gaging or it slipping then trim the sucker. Personally I like the Palate calls the best, theywere just easier to get the hang of and when the moment of truth arrives they haven't let me down. I suggest trying the Ivory Palate (single) &/or the Imeprial Palate (double) by primos both are good calls. They will both work for bull talk as well, the imperial you can get nasty with where the ivory is more immature. I like the fact I can throw in the imperialtorun and gun without changing between calls. I still use blow and squeeze calls to create the illusion of a herd talking, flexibility is a great thing IMHO when hunting elk.