Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Diaphram call for deer? >

Diaphram call for deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Diaphram call for deer?

Old 01-17-2007, 11:02 PM

Default Diaphram call for deer?

I'ves seen diaphram calls for both turkey and elk, but why not deer? I've had situations where it would help a lot to have a grunt call. Say you call in a buck and at 30 yards.You draw on himand he turns and walks the other way. You have to slowly release the bow and blow a grunt then he turns toward you hard to get the draw on him again.
Maybe a dumb question, but bear with me im already suffering from bowhunting withdrawl only like 10 months tell deer season though lol
Old 01-17-2007, 11:06 PM

Default RE: Diaphram call for deer?

What about a simple mouth grunt at full draw to make him stop. That will usually do the trick. Sometimes they just won't stop for nothing.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:11 PM

Yeah I know you could do that, but I just can't believe no company has made one I mean we have a "buck growl" (not saying bucks don't make this sound, but it has to be fairly uncommon)
Old 01-17-2007, 11:15 PM

I think it's probably because it's hard to make a low pitch noise like a grunt with a diaphram type call. They work much better for higher pitch elk and turkey noises. It wouldn't be a bad idea though if they could come up with one because 2 free hands are always good.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:27 AM

If you want them to stop on you no matter what try and do a good snort.. Just blow air really hard into your hand cupped or go SHEWWWWWW with your mouth.. like you have heard them blown when they bust you.. Usually they will stop and look. Just do it once and if they blow back.. Wait...

I have found that sometimes they come at you to see what you are.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:31 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

I think it's probably because it's hard to make a low pitch noise like a grunt with a diaphram type call. They work much better for higher pitch elk and turkey noises.
That's exactly why.
I use the A-Way Bow Grunter, and I haven't noticed any shortage of hands free deer calls.