Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Asat Believer!

Old 05-20-2006, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Asat Believer!

This morning I wore ASAT camo for the first time while hunting turkeys.I was running and gunning.I cut and yelped and three birds gobbled at a distance of about 200 yards.I wanted to let them gobble on their own before I called again so I waited about 10 minutes and hearing no gobbles I cut and yelped again.All three birds gobbled at a distance now of about 100 yards.I didn't feel like I had that much time to be selective about where I sat so I planted myself in front of a boulder.The down side is that any thing coming to my hard right was going to be a problem.Of course the first bird comes in hard to my right with nothing between us but air.I was like s--t this bird is going to bust me for certain.He went by me at about ten yards and I knew the only chance I had was to let him go by me and then hope that the other toms would come in a direction where I wasn't pinned,either that or I could turn on the first bird once it was a way's behind me.The two other toms came in right in front of me.They went behind a tree,I swung my barrel to the other side of the tree,and shot the first bird to show himself.Nice bird,10 inch beard,one inch spurs.
I can't believe the first bird didn't bust me!He was so close.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Asat Believer!

They went behind a tree,I swung my barrel to the other side of the tree,and shot the first bird to show himself.Nice bird,10 inch beard,one inch spurs.
I can't believe the first bird didn't bust me!He was so close.
So which one did you shoot ?
Old 05-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's what I'm talking about. See pics "4 bird falls" and my thread on my spring bird this year.

I had a hen walk by me at 3 yards. I even close my right eye as she passed by my right. If she busted I wouldn't have seen or gotten the gobbler I pulled along with her. I love my ASAT 3D and have for years.

Maybe other camos might have worked but I won't take the chance and not wear my ASAT...

Great story and congrats on your bird.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you Rob.
Jrbsr, three toms came in,the closest came in hard to my right and I let it go past me.The other two toms came in in front of me,I shot one of those birds.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ASAT is great camo no doubt about it. I really like the stuff. I think I have three outfits of it.

You displayed some great discipline in not blowing the shot, way to go.

I had a similiar thing happen to me this year and I just shot left handed.

You probably saw the story but just in case allow me to "pimp" it one more time. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1521004&mpage=1&key=Boss%2cTom&a mp;#1521004

Congratulations!!
Old 05-21-2006, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never really like that stuff... Buddy of mine had it and I really didn't care for it... He also told me something about them going out of buisness and screwing him over on a order... then they started selling it again...

I've had turkeys 5 feet away from me while wearing Mossy Oak... Thats good enough for me
Old 05-22-2006, 08:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Mr. Longbeard, ASAT never went out of business. What happened to your buddy was unfortunate but it was a company called Brigadere Quartermasters who were the wholesale distributer for ASAT camo. ASAT themselves got "screwed" over through the whole mess and had to start back up from scratch.

The only flaw ASAT camo has is it's not appealing to the human eye but you will never understand how it works on animals until you wear it yourself.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:25 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer
...The only flaw ASAT camo has is it's not appealing to the human eye...
Exactly why i have only worn it once this year...I keep thinking there's too much green on the ground. Im thinking of giving it a go tomorrow, as its gonna be really cold out and i need something to cover my extra layers

We'll see...
Old 05-23-2006, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's good that the camo makes you have more confidence, BUT COME ON GUYS, do you really think a turkey can recognize a human inthe sitting position, when we're sitting against a tree or rock, even if we weren't wearing any camo?? They can't even recognize a blind as danger, even when it is set up in the middle of no where,in a place that the turekys frequent every day!! So how in the world do you think that they will notice when a lump of a human, when itis sitting against a tree or a rock!!
NOW if that lump against the tree or rock moves, then all bets are off, NO MATTER WHAT CAMO, or the lack of, you're wearing!!
I think the turkey is given too much credit in its ability to see and recognizethe human form, exspecially, whenthe human is sitting against a back ground!!