Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What's the closest you've had a mature strutter? >

What's the closest you've had a mature strutter?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What's the closest you've had a mature strutter?

Old 05-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What's the closest you've had a mature strutter?

I went out this morning, and was at one of my exclusive honey holes. The wife convinced me to go there this morning, even though it costs me about 35 minutes of sleep.

I wasn't disappointed, as I had one all fired up on the roost. Only one problem...the one that came in quiet from my offhand, which had worked down a slight gully until clearing the only knoll higher than my tree. He decided to spit-n-drum & gobble 30 degrees behind me, keeping two large oaks between us. He high-tailed it outta there after about 15 seconds, not sure if he was spooked by me or the thought of the bird that was gobbling. He never putted, and I acutally worked him from about 75 yards for over an hour. He eventually wandered off, and I walked off the distance between us...SIX paces. I've never had a mature tom THAT close before...boy, what an absolute thrill...

Yeah, I was screwed, even though the gun was up and in the ready position. At that range, even with a red-dot scope I didn't contemplate a left-handed shot, as the gun throws a slug pattern. Afterwards, I postulated that I probably wouldn't have taken a right-handed shot, he was just too close. I harvested one last year at 12 steps, and that was closer than I would have liked...off the same property [8D]

How close have you had a mature strutter?
Old 05-11-2006, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's the closest you've had a mature strutter?

my first year turkey hunting I had a gobbler strutting around my decoy 5 steps. I didnt know what drumming was, so I thought that crazy sound was him rapidly stomping his feet. I was so nervous I missed him. My cousin, who got me started in turkey hunting, still doesnt let me live that one down.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

7 steps on Tues. Incredible to hear the rattling or drumming sound when he gobbles that close.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

It was 6-7 yds, one of the 1st times I ever turkey hunted. A buddy of mine was the avid turkey hunter and called in 2 mature birds that close. I never knew how much more you could hear them spit and drum and stuff that close.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Id say about 5 yards. I shot one this year at that distance.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

I killed a beautiful bird a few years back that was in full strut for my decoy. I pulled the trigger when he was 6 ft. from me. Thing is, I almost missed him! Remember at 6 ft., the pattern from a turkey choke is onlya couple inches or so wide. I decided to aim a little off to the side so that I wouldn't blow his head clean off. That bird died sure enough, but I couldn't find a single pellet hit on that toms head and neck. Maybe he died from the blast percussion! He weighed 24 lbs. and had 1 5/8" spurs!
Old 05-11-2006, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had this guy come up from behind me, strut past my left shoulder, while following a hen on the way to my decoy set-up. Distance was about 5 feet!! Talk about having your heart jump out of your chest hearing that spit and drum comming from behind you, and end up being that short distance away!![:-]

Old 05-11-2006, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

17 steps.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Had two hens pass meatfour feet away while i was on my belly (in a wheat field, on the edge)monday.I ki-ki runed the hens and they came pretty quickly.Last time i had seen the hens they had three longbeards with them. I waited and waited and waited. Just fixing to move and then i heard them spit and drum. i let the first one walk by at about six feet. Almost took a shot a him, then i heard the other two spit and drum. so i dropped the second one at about four feet! 23 lbs 10in beard and 1.5 spurs! Man i was shaking and breathing so hard!
Old 05-11-2006, 10:52 PM

Well, Last year was my first year hunting and I shot my bird at 12 paces, but this year when I was calling for my buddy I got closer then ever to one when the boss tom in our woods was coming into the decoys and came from my side and stopped less then 5 paces from me... too bad it was also only about 1 stepout ofmy friends shooting lane when it spooked and high tailed it in the other direction... sure wish it would have been my season not his!

Quick Reply: What's the closest you've had a mature strutter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.