Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Shot size question for 20 ga... >

Shot size question for 20 ga...

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Shot size question for 20 ga...

Old 04-18-2006, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shot size question for 20 ga...

I'm in the process of setting up my shotgun for this years season and I've got a question about the lethality of #6 shot. Using my Winchester 1300 20 ga with a 22 inch barrel, I've patterned the following 3" shells:
Winchester Supreme #5 1 1/4 oz
Federal Mag Shok #5 1 5/16 oz
Federal Mag Shok #6 1 5/16 oz

I've tested them using an Undertaker choke at 25, 30, and 35 yds. In don't have the exact numbers infront of me but both sets of#5's performedpretty near identicle at all ranges. The Winchesters had tighterpatterns at 25 and 30 yds, whilethe Fed'shad more pellets in the head at 35 yds. The #6's however had more pellets thaneither of the other two at all distances.This makes sence because the6'sshould have more pellets in the shell.

My question is, out of my setup, dothe #6's have enough power to killa turkey cleanly at35 yds, orbecausethey are shot out of a 20 ga, they won't hit with enough "umph"? I believe all patterns are tight enough to kill a turkey at 35 yds,soI wouldlike to use the 6's because of the overall higher pellet count; but I don't want to use them if they aren't going to hit hard enough. So what do you guys think? I've never killed a turkey before so I need your guy's expertice.

Thanks,
Steven
Old 04-18-2006, 07:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shot size question for 20 ga...

For my son's 20 gauge I went with Hevi shot #6s by Remington, 1.25 oz. Hevi shot allows you to shoot a smallershot sizewith greater leathality than lead but more pellets. Much tighter patterns compared to Winchester Supreme #5s.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to shoot 3" Hevi-Shot #4's but they don't make them anymore, so this is what my choices are. The stores around me don't carry that big of a selection of 20 ga rounds.

So does anybody know if the #6's will carry enough knock down power at 35 yds, or should I stick with one of the two 5's?
Old 04-19-2006, 02:54 PM

What's the fps on the #6, that should help you determine how lethal the #6 are?I wouldn't have a problem killing a turkey with #6 at 35 yards.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:05 PM

The difference between weight and size from a 5-6 really isn't that much.

The #5's are 8 ft/lbs of energy per pellet and the #6's are 6 ft/lbs per pellet. However you get more pellets with the #6's, almost 1 and a half times more per OZ.

I would go with whatever load gives you the most even pattern. I don't bother with counting how many pellets I get in a specific area. I just shoot to see what load gives me the most consistant pattern at the distances I want to hunt. I look for a real even spread with no wholes in the pattern. Turkeys are tough, but it only takes a few pellets in the head to take one out.

Paul
Old 04-19-2006, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any ballistics I look up say all of the shells are shooting at 1185 fps.

Thanks Paul, I'll look over my patterns again tonight, and see what looks the best. I'll probably go with the 6's then because they will give me more pellets, but we will see.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:38 PM

You would be better off shooting #5 at that fps. IMHO,You would be better of shooting the Federal Wing Shok loads instead of the Mag Shok.