Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Question on loads and shot size >

Question on loads and shot size

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Question on loads and shot size

Old 04-15-2006, 06:21 PM

Default Question on loads and shot size

I have a delima. I have two shotguns I want to take turkey hunting with me. One I actually got to make into a turkey gun. It is a NEF pardner pump gun with a 28 inch barrel and can handle 3 inch turkey loads. The down side is it doesn't fit me very well (too big), but not that big of deal turkey hunting since I will be making slow and deliberate movements if everything goes right. It also has pretty wood and no sling swivel mounts yet. It has only been fired twice last week to make sure it functioned.

I also have an A5 stalker with a 22 inch barrel and synthetic stocks. I picked it up used spur of the moment last week. It will only shoot 2-3/4 inch shells though. However this gun fits me much better, has a sling and handles better. Not to mention if I had to make a follow up shot it would be much easier being an auto vrs a pump that doesn't fit me that well.

My delima is I am hung up in thinking I NEED turkey loads. My mossberg liked winchester supreme 3 inch magnums with 1-7/8 oz of #4 shot. I think they are good for around 1200 fps. I have some left over and the NEF will handle them. It kicks like an SOB though. I'm not all that recoil sensitive really, so that is not a huge deal.

The thing is I was doing some checking and some of the pheasant loads are pretty stout. I currently have some federals that have 1-3/8 oz of #5 shot in 2-3/4 inchers for my A5 and they will do 1350 fps. And I looked at a shot size chart and by dropping one size in shot (4's to 5's) I get almost the same amount of pellets, just not the same amount of weight. And I have seen some that will get up to around 1500 fps.

Wouldn't something like this work just as well instead of a "turkey" load? I wouldn't see why not. As long as they pattern well out of a tight choke. And both guns will take the same choke so all have to do is just swap it from one gun to the other ( HS Undertaker .665 extended choke). Same with the fiber optic sights, takes me about 10 minutes to switch them from gun to gun (other than sighting it in).

So which would you take if you had to choose?

A5 stalker

NEF Pardner Pump (870 clone)

Paul
Old 04-15-2006, 08:12 PM

Default RE: Question on loads and shot size

2 3/4" is all you need. Sounds like you are leaning that way....Good luck!
Old 04-15-2006, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

I also have an A5 stalker with a 22 inch barrel and synthetic stocks. I picked it up used spur of the moment last week. It will only shoot 2-3/4 inch shells though.
I would go with this one the A5 Stalker
You can still get the 2 3/4 turkey loads
And I would try #6's
For two reasons you get more shot and the smaller the pellets,
The less it will deform when going down the barrel and out the choke.

The thing is I was doing some checking and some of the pheasant loads are pretty stout. I currently have some federals that have 1-3/8 oz of #5 shot in 2-3/4 inchers for my A5 and they will do 1350 fps. And I looked at a shot size chart and by dropping one size in shot (4's to 5's) I get almost the same amount of pellets, just not the same amount of weight. And I have seen some that will get up to around 1500 fps.
Pheasant loads #5 shot in 2-3/4 inchers will probbly do ok

After All Dead is Dead regaurdeless of what shells and shot you use.

JMHO

What ever you be carefull and remember to use ear plugs

Good Luck
Old 04-15-2006, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't have to think twice about this one. I used to hunt with the old "hump backs" all the time. They were deadly and came up like a charm. When I became a competetive shooter however Idecided to switch to a softer shooting gun due to the beating I was taking fromthe recoil operated A5.

I just called a tom in for a parapalegic who used a 2 3/4" shell loaded with 1 1/2 oz of #6 shot to harvest the bird. I also have taken turkey with 2 3/4" shells, no big deal. Like anything else, know the limits of your weapon and stay within those parameters and you will kill any bird that crosses that line.

I have a Benelli that patterns better at 40 yardswith 1 1/2 ounces of shot (many 2 3/4 turkey loads in this offering) than two ounces. A 2 3/4 inch shell is not the handicap that some folks think it is.

Furthermore a gun that fits you is far more important than 1/4-1/2 ounce of shot; even if you are making "slow and deliberate movements". Plus that 22" barrel with a sling will be a joy to carry in the woods versus the 28" unslung gun...

Good luck.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:41 PM

The Remigton Nitro pheasant loads make an excellent low recoil turkey load, my experience is they pattern better out of a full choke tube and you can still get 15-20 pellets in the kill zone at 35 yards. Use which ever gun fits you the best, the A-5 will kill a turkey no problem. You might limit your range a little, but with the right shells you can still reach out a good distance.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:11 PM

Thanks guys, I set it up already with a HS Undertaker super full choke and adjustable fiber optic sights. I just need to see how it patterns wiht the pheasant loads I have and sight it in. I may do it tomorrow.

Paul