Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Starting in VA!

Old 04-04-2006, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default Starting in VA!

I have been out a couple of times listening lately and have heard a few gobbles. I had abird yesterday going crazy. I snuck out without a peep. Anyone else hearing any birds in VA yet? Can't wait for Saturday morning.

Mike
Old 04-04-2006, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Starting in VA!

I was out filling my deer feeder last Monday and there were some crows circling around making their unmistakable kaw-kaw-kaw. A second or so later they were answered by a gobble. This was repeated two more times in about 2 minutes. So there was a gobbler across the road about 300 yards from me. Of course, it just confirms that the gobblers are in a breeding mood, no doubt being stoked by the warm weather we have been having here in VA for the last 2 weeks. I was out yesterday, again filling my deer feeder, and I didn't hear anything. I took the opportunity to get my tree and circle it with downed trees and vegetation for Saturday mornings opening day.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:38 AM

I've only had the chance to go one time, and that was yesterday morning. I did hear at least three different birds on the National Forest, so that is a plus. Normally I scout more, but with work I just haven't had the chance. Good Luck!
Old 04-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

They were gobbling well down towards Farmville where I scouted this past Sunday - heard 6 birds in two locations.
-fsh