Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Well I did it!

Old 01-03-2010, 05:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default Well I did it!

After NOT being a fan of trail cameras for years even though at one point in time I probably owned one of the first to come on the market I finally broke down and decided I would give it a go again. I began to look at the different models and options and did a lot of research and decided on a Reconyx RC60HO. I mainly did my research through different internet reviewers and came up with my decision but I can honestly say that after reading the statements of other people on this forum that I don't regret spending the money to get one that hopefully will not be plaged with some of the issues that other manufactures have. I don't like to buy things twice and get very frustrated when a product don't do what it's designed to do, mainly because the tech. is there but a choice of the manufacture not to use it.
This points me to one question. Does any other Reconyx users have the heavy (1/8th) thickness security box from Reconyx that they offer on their website? I'd like to protect my investment from would be theives.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the Reconyx purchase, you will not be dissapointed. I happen to have the box you asked about. It is really made by a company called swivelsafe. I know that it is more expensive and heavier than your standard security box, but it is well worth it. I use 2, 3 1/2in lags bolts to secure the thing to a tree along with a python cable. It's not 100% theft proof but it definately would take some effort to steal it. You can look at all of their security boxes by going to www.swivelsafe.com Keep us updated with your new toy. By the way, what kind of trailcam was your very first? I purchased my first one about twenty years ago but didn't really become addicted until the last four or five years.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 01-03-2010, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the reply PastorJim, The very first one that I had was a "TrailMaster". It was a two piece unit, the camera was an Olympus with an adapter epoxyed in the front that could be used for general pictures as well. The sensing device counted pulses based on your viewing range that you setup. The 35mm film got to expensive though. I did work pretty good though.

Thanks for the website link, On the website did you get the Universal box with the correct cover plate?
Old 01-03-2010, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TC209x50
Thanks for the reply PastorJim, The very first one that I had was a "TrailMaster". It was a two piece unit, the camera was an Olympus with an adapter epoxyed in the front that could be used for general pictures as well. The sensing device counted pulses based on your viewing range that you setup. The 35mm film got to expensive though. I did work pretty good though.

Thanks for the website link, On the website did you get the Universal box with the correct cover plate?
When I bought my camera it was from the owner of swivelsafe. He threw in the box for free but the box is the one made exactly for that camera as there is absolutely no room for it to move around or anything. Coincidentally, the Trailmaster was also my first camera. The IR units still work but the camera has never worked since we had a house fire about 13yrs ago. I contacted the company about a new camera but with the price of film and all the hassle that goes with it, I decided it wasn't worth it to try to replace the camera. They wanted $400.00 dollars for a new 35mm, Ouch!

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 01-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

well PastorJim you got me to thinking about the old TrailMaster so I got it out of the box and installed a fresh set of batteries to see if it would still work and guess what it powered up great so I began to look for the camera and found it. I installed the IR only since I don't have any film to see if it would still trigger tonight on some game near a crossing by the house. I'm curious if it will still trigger? the setup light blinks so I think everything is okay. I remember the manual saying that the sensors would eventually faid over time and you could put it in a closet and check to see if it trigger with no true event happening. It was this reason that I assumed that it would no longer work. I'm going to get some film and see if the whole package will work again. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

PastorJim, what settings did you find that worked best for whitetail? P level and P time? Camera Delay for trail or food plot?
Thanks
Old 01-04-2010, 02:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now I want to make sure we're on the same page here. The unit I had, had two seperate pieces, not counting the camera. there was a transmitter and receiver that you aligned that could be placed up to 90ft apart. I know they also made what they called a passive IR unit that was only piece plus the camera. I remember for deer, setting what I thought was a sensitivity control to five. The instructions also advised you to set it at different heights for different animals. Deer being 24in. The delay was variable but I seemed to remember having it on 1 minute. I actually got the IR units before I splurged for the camera. I thought that just counting the deer was great. But man when I added that camera, it opened up a whole new world. That thing really took awesome pics and the range on it was unbelievable. Plus you could take the camera out and use it for everyday if you wanted. If you get that thing fired up, try to post some pics from it. Good Luck!

Blessings.....Pastorjim

P.S. It just occured to me that you could set those things to take pics in designated time periods, I think that "p" might mean the p.m. setting so make sure that you have it to set to take pics around the clock. At least that's the way mine worked.

Last edited by PastorJim08; 01-04-2010 at 02:16 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:30 AM
Fork Horn

Yea I think yours was a little different than mine. I have the TM500 model without the second reciever part.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is a picture of my old Trailmaster. They have a website that might be able to answer some of your questions. I hope you get that thing working. Here is there web address; http://www.trailmaster.com/

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 01-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

Yours has the reciever that recieves the infared beam. While mine is the passive model which uses heat and motion to break a "P level (1-5)" pulses over a designated length of time (pt). I just picked up a role of 35mm film today so I will be setting it up tomorrow and I'll keep you posted as to the results. I've heard some people say that they are making there own camera with I think a S600 Sony camera? Anyway I'm not sure how they tie the trigger into the camera but I'm assuming that its only a contact closure and if that is true then most likely our existing TrailMaster units can be used as the sensor and just wiring a cable to the camera. I will look into this, the only thing that needs to be done to verify is to check the output of the sensor via the cable and watch for a contact closure when it picks up an event that is supposed to trigger the camera. This would allow us to use a more modern camera with our older equipment in addition to solving your problem of not having a camera anymore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.