Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 LED light assisit (whiteout) >

LED light assisit (whiteout)

Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

LED light assisit (whiteout)

Old 07-23-2007, 07:29 PM

Default LED light assisit (whiteout)

I just recieved my LED cables in the mail for my light sensor test. i am planning to try set it up to assist the cam in detecting how much light and when to flash in hopes to reduce or possibly eliminate pictue whiteout. i chose this possible setup because i believed that it would be adjustable, this would allow for more or less light depending on where i place the cam. i will be starting tests on my 3.1 to see if it does make a difference, then i will take it to my I60, ifthis cam isstill operational. it is just one of maybe 5000 cams that turn out to be a lemon, but it seems to keep coming out of the dumps and taking pics, not sure how or why but it is going back to the store next trip tocabelas (65 miles away).
ok back to the basics. i purchased 2 brand new LED cables 6 feet long for 9.50 shipped off of ebay that are for a stereo system. i have a couple different ideas but i will be starting with an old square 6 volt flashlight that does not light up anymore. i will use the reflector from the flashlight as the light catcher, the end of the cable fits just perfectly into it. i am thinking of siliconing the clear lens onto the reflector just to insure it doesnt get dirt and moisture into it. for now i will just tape the other end to the camera aiming it at the sensor. for a mount i will be going cheap and easy, a wire coathanger twisted into position. if this works, i may look into a better mount unless this works really well.
i will post results as i go.

CC
Old 07-23-2007, 10:25 PM

Default RE: LED light assisit (whiteout)

well i ran into a few snags but that was expected. to start, the flashlight reflector did not work as expected and could not reflect light to the led. i tried a piece of cardboard wrapped in tinfoil and shaped similar to a funnel with one side of the funnel cut out just to see what would happen and it worked. it did reflect enough light to make the sensor believe there was enough light to shut the flash down. the reflector is mounted at about 50 degreeson the cable and is totally reflective inside the funnel with black electrical tape covering the back side. the only bad part is that the sensor for the 3.1 is so far inside the camera that i do not believe led's are the way to go. on the other hand the 6.0 is not so this set up may work on it. i believe that if i had one of these led's facing east and another facing west, i would knock many of my whiteouts off the map. i attached a pic with a flash and one with the led suppressing the flash, also a pic of the ends of the cables.

this test did show me it is possible but there is alot more tweeking to do.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:19 PM

Default RE: LED light assisit (whiteout)

well i tried something new last week regarding the whiteout issue. i have been trying the led with my old 3.1 but i have been experamenting with positions in the field with the 6.0 IR cam. I placed it in a medow facing south, i went to get the pix today and found i did not have any whiteout pix at all. I have tried this facing north and did see some around dawn and dusk. as of now the cam is about 6 feet off the ground on the tree it is on facing down,30 feet from the bait and is not getting as many pix as the 3.1 that is 15 feet from the bait. the 3.1 gets about 72 pix a day and the 6.0 is getting 45 a day. this was a test just to see how the sensor reacts, but caught another possible problem. my 3.1 is sitting about 3 feet off the ground and 15 feet from the bait, with the 6.0 up so much higher and further i noticed the deer (pix from the 6.0) are starring at the 3.1 cam in most of the pics. this leads me to believe that putting the cam up above the deers eye level is the way to go. i didnt believe articles that mentioned this because i was still getting 400 - 650 pix a week with mature bucks almost just wanting to pose for the cam.
ok back to the led.
i am thinking that the led light assist is not the way to go but it does work. when set up, it sticks out like a sore thumb. not the goal i was wanting at all. i have ordered a lot of small odd shaped mirrors off of ebay and will be testing this next. my thoughts are that it will have to be removable or have the ability to be disabled depending on the area your putting it. if you are like me, it gets moved once in a while just to see what your missing over the hill or at a new scrape.

CC