Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Using a light

Old 10-15-2002, 05:02 PM

Default Using a light

What is the consensus on using a flashlight when walking to your stand in the morning? Does this spook deer more than without a light. What about a red lens. I have never needed to use a light to get to my stand. These New York woods are a lot darker then back home. Just can't see a thing.

thanks ]
\PD
Old 10-15-2002, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Using a light

I CAN TELL YOU, THAT I DONT HAVE ANIMAL EYES, SO WHEN WALKING IN THE WOODS I NEED A LIGHT, IF NOT I MAY WALK INTO A TREE, BRANCH, TRIP OVER A ROCK, LOGS, OR MAY EVEN BRAKE A LEG FROM FALLING. YOU WILL MAKE NOISE NO MATTER HOW QUIT YOU TRY TO BE, SO USE A LIGHT SO YOU CAN SAFELY GET TO YOUR DEER STAND, AND ENJOY YOUR HUNT.
Old 10-15-2002, 05:25 PM
Typical Buck

a little common sense goes along way when using a flash light in the woods.i use one,always have and always will if the situation calls for it.keep the beam pointed towards the ground as much as possible and once your at the stand ,turn it off.learn to get in to the stand without a light and learn to get ready(once in the stand)in the dark.as far as spooking the deer,i think if the deer are close enough there going to spook regardless if your using a light or not.the important thing is to get to the stand quickly and quietly,if a light helps do this then use it.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:53 PM

Animals seem to have no fear of red lights.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer will see you wether you have a light or not. You might as well see where your walking.

"Nocked,cocked & ready to rock"
Old 10-15-2002, 11:37 PM
Fork Horn

Good question. I gree with getting there safely and if you can see you will get there with much less noise. I would recommend a red lens as deer can only see it if shined directly at them. This is due to the rods and cones in their eyes. If not red a dim/smaller light. Remember, the red light is no good looking for blood.....
Old 10-16-2002, 04:39 AM

The trail i have on my place we keep cleaned up no branches etc,
so i dont use a light until i turn off and go to my stand then i use a light, and i have spooked deer even when i was on the trail so I say dont worry about what color to use or if it will spook deer just use it to be safe,My brother in law uses a recharable spot light and about lights up the entire wood's and he still bag's a deer or two every year
Old 10-16-2002, 05:35 AM

Interesting non-reaction to flashlight ...

In the early morning, I keep the light on my path, take a few steps, turn the light off, stop and listen. A couple of weeks ago, I heard a deer close by and turned the light back on. She was about 5 yards away walking broadside and browsing. The light was on her body (not in her eyes) and she didn't react at all. I turned the light off and started to squat down. As I started to move, she bolted away.

I didn't make any sound (that my human ears could here anyway). My reasoning about the reaction is that deer see as well at night as during the day. They are nocturnal animals after all. Because there is no glare, it is possible that their vision is better at night than during the day. The light itself may not contrast the dark in the deer's view. Deer will respond to any movement whether it was made in the dark or in broad daylight. I feel strongly that if you walk with a flashlight it will be your "walking" that spooks the deer ... not the light itself.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

I really can not comment on this as far as light or no light because I have never used one. I must have excellent night vision because my cousin, one of the best hunters I have ever known always used one going in and coming out. Going through the woods to my stand I have seen deer in clearings that would look in my direction when I moved, but as long as the wind was right they never spooked, but then again I walk in like a deer, what I mean by that is 3 steps, stop, 5 steps, stop, etc. etc. I do carry a flashlight in the afternoons in case I kill one right at dark, but that is strictly for tracking and gutting.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 10-16-2002, 08:14 AM

i too have good night vision, it may be because when i get out of bed i don't turn lights on. if i do i have a habbit of keepng my dominate eye closed.i even close it when a car is comming the other way,and put a red jell cover over the dumb (dome) light. now the last three times out ,it's been rainning so it's too dark and i use a pen light , just enough to see where i'm going and not get poked in the eye.i think not using a light helps me more as its getting light out

Quick Reply: Using a light

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.